Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

gaps in siding.

27K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  owattabuilder 
Like stated it's a horrendous install. No one does laps like that and provides a quality install at the same time.

1)Make sure it's a James Hardie. I don't think it is. It looks like Certainteed grain and they where very problematic for shrinkage. There was a lot of players in the game at one point that have came and gone. Hardie normally get's the bad rep since they are so big and get called out to warranty issues all time on product that's not there's.

The material could have been installed wet and dried on the wall increasing the little 1/8" shrinkage that is average to 1/4 to 3/8".

2) While caulking it with DAP might work for a couple years at best it will start to crack and fail soon as well. I don't believe DAP is made to to fill joints. It's more of a sealant and doesn't handle well with expansion and contraction. I might look into using something like color matched quad and fill the joints after painting.

To prevent this?

Keep the material dry while it's on the ground. But the joints snug with no pressure. Use color matched flashing behind them so when they do open up a little they aren't so noticeable.

Material has changed a lot over the last 10 years. A lot of bugs have been worked out of the system. I try to install pre-finished only because at the end of the day it's a better product that primed and paint after hung on the wall.

Thesidingpro, you said that 1/8" shrinkage is average, how and when does this happen? Hardie install instructions don't mention letting the siding dry or shrink before caulking and painting. This siding has only shrunk another 3/16"-1/8" per plank since it was caulked and painted.

Install issues
1) Butt joints were not tight at installation
2) Joints were not staggered randomly
3) Flashing may not have been installed behind butt joints (it did look like there was tar paper there)
4) Used combination of Face nailing (not high wind area) and blind nailing
5) Did something wrong such that several corners are broken off
6) May have installed wet or cheep product.
I really don't think it's a James Hardie Product. I could be wrong but it does look like a different grain pattern.

The directions have changed so much over the years I don't know what to say. Any warranty potential you would get is taking away by the obvious poor install. Any warranty rep is gonna pick that job to pieces easily.

I mentioned siding being wet as in not properly stored at the jobsite. In my younger days doing work for production builders the stuff would get rained on and we would hang it. Come back the next day and the gaps would be 1/4" open.

Personally I'd come buy and face nail the entire job the best I could. More than likely that was done poorly. I'd probably use 1 1/2" trim nails. I'd then paint it and fill the gaps with a color matched caulk that has some expanding and contracting properties.

Obviously No warranty on the gaps.

I agree with holding suppliers accountable even though it's way to late on this job or even after it's installed.

I can save a $1.00/piece using a big box store sometimes more. They just have any care in delivery and accountability. I use my local siding supplier and get much service and delivery. It's worth a 4-500.00 additional cost on material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.