Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang -

Out here in Gotham City, I've pretty much just used all Steel.
If I'm working with wood, I'm generally using screws.

Picked up a Dewalt Cordless Framer.
For the odds' ends' around the house, I want to give wood more of a whirl...besides, it gave me a excuse to buy a new toy.

If I have to buy 1 box of nails, is it Okay to use Galvanized Ring Shank for Everything. I was leaning on this direction, as one box will serve me plenty for now. Or am I better off with vinyl coated brights for interior use, in which I will need to buy *2* boxes, one bright and one galvy....

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
You can use the galv for indoors. Just costs more. You just bought a $500 "toy".
I don't think you are really worried about cost. If you think you will use it a lot, just buy both kinds of nails. They wont spoil.

·
Registered
865 Posts
We only buy galvies. We use a lot of PT here and I don't want my guys getting off the ladder or where ever they are to go grab different nails when changing from pt to white wood.

I don't even want to see brights on site because I know someone will grab and use them somewhere where they shouldn't. For the $200 it might save me per job, it's not worth the hassle for us.

·
Registered
585 Posts
We do all interior framing in bright,outside is galv an structural exposed within 600mm of the ground is stainless
Wow.... So for example if you were nailing joists to rimboard sitting on a foundation wall 300mm off the ground you would use stainless?

Just curious about how things are done on an island very far away from me!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow.... So for example if you were nailing joists to rimboard sitting on a foundation wall 300mm off the ground you would use stainless?

Just curious about how things are done on an island very far away from me!
yup ,doin a deck at the moment 400 from ground to bottom of joists stringer bolted to slab with stainless bolts joists on stainless hangers with stainless bracket nails pile to bearer stainless z nails ...expensive stuff

·
Registered
668 Posts
The cordless dewalt framer has it's place on our crew. Putting in truss bracing is it's only job. A joke for a production site.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Galvanized will be fine. Will cost a little more, but I can usually find Grip Rite (generic) for about $5 more per box.
I also usually only get galvanized. Something we went to a few years ago. Easier than switching nails or somebody getting mixed up.
I also only get galvanized finish nails and brads.
I don't get the ring shank though. Would require a special order. The galvanized have a coating on them. They are harder to pull than bright finish.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having not use Ring Shanks....

I was leaning on Ring Shanks for the exterior usage requirements. How much or how little of a bear is it to nail flush. I know this really depends on the nailer as well. Not sure if I buy Ring Shanks, will I have buyers remourse if it doesn't seat flush on every nail I shoot

·
Registered
Remodel
29,496 Posts
Having not use Ring Shanks....

I was leaning on Ring Shanks for the exterior usage requirements. How much or how little of a bear is it to nail flush. I know this really depends on the nailer as well. Not sure if I buy Ring Shanks, will I have buyers remourse if it doesn't seat flush on every nail I shoot
If you were hjand nailing and bought galvi ring shanks and didn't need them, yes, you'd have buyer's remorse and probably a sore arm:whistling

If the question is whether you can hand set them flush if the nailer doesn't get them just right, it takes a pretty good whack - it it's in a knot, it takes a better whack...

I haven't used them in a nail gun, only hand nailed with them for decking boards.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
LOl. I've probably used more epoxy-concrete fasteners than setting a nail by hammer in my lifetime ;-/

Got a couple spring project ahead, and figuered I'd give nails/wood a shot...

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I use Galvanized ring shanks for everything, I have the 20v cordless framing nailer and it sets them perfectly. We don't switch out nails other than length either, too easy to mix up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ended up picking up a box of 16 Gal Smooth and 8 Galv Ring.

Interested for my own wikipedia to compare/contrast how the ring shanks grip resistance compares to where I would normally just use a GRK screws. Moreso, I do see the benefits of the speed with nails....

Shear, etc, etc. I don't think I'm nailing anything YET where shear is a issue..

·
Super Moderator
27,517 Posts
Galvanized. Too easy to mix up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts