Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Giving it my best
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building an outdoor shower with white cedar walls in a Maine coast town. I've got a Paslode CF-325 framing nailer that I know will use the coated galvanized nails but I'm wondering if not using stainless will come back to haunt me. (No nails in the shower.)

Not trying to be cheap - more lazy. If I can get stainless for the Paslode it's a no brainer but I don't think I can for this older model. Will then have the choice of hand driving stainless ring nails or Pasloding with galvanized.

Thanks for your comments/advice.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,432 Posts
Galvanized will stain.

·
Registered
477 Posts
electro galvanized nails are not supposed to be used in cedar I believe.

SS on coast and hot dipped in other places (is ok).

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out.

·
Giving it my best
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm asking because Paslode claims that their "Hot dipped galvanized plus" are "recommended for" all PT lumber AND "for use in natural wood siding, such as cedar, redwood, cypress ..."

Looking for feedback based on real world experience. Leo writes about staining and that is what I expect from typical galvanized but I wonder if these are better than average -http://www.paslode.com/nails/galvanized-framing/

OR - does anyone know if Paslode makes a 2' to 2-1/2" stainless version that will fit my model CF-325?

Thanks x 2

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
1. Don't use a framing nailer to install it.
2. Galvanized is fine for white cedar but not for red cedar (white doesn't have the tannin levels that red does). The nails will eventually corrode but your siding needs to be replaced by the time that happens anyways.
3. If there is open ocean nearby I'd use stainless regardless.
4. If you gun nail, set the depth high and hand nail the heads until flush. It blows my mind how many people over drive nails.

·
Giving it my best
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK OK :thumbup: Stainless it is - as I knew it would be.

I think hand driven ring nails though. I'm not buying another tool for a small job and I think screws are overkill.

Thanks all for your input.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
I just looked up the specs to that gun & the minimum nail it can shoot is 2". You want to use 1-1/4" nails, 1-1/2" at the most. Definitely do not use that gun.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
OOPS!! I'm really sorry guys I misread the original post. I was thinking white cedar sidewall shingles. If it's exposed trim, I'd go stainless screws or if you're cheap, stainless ring shank hand nails.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
if your anywhere near the ocean the galvys will go bad in months.. a few years ago we did a big job for architect's own house.. we did steel cable hand rail on the deck.. he didnt want to pay for stainless so we used galvy and within months it was rusting because of the salt water

Reactions: BruceT
1 - 18 of 18 Posts