Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 year old 4 pitch metal roof in northrn NH. It has several (8-10) leaks and many old repairs. It totals about 20,000 sq ft. It was suggested that I use Topcoat to repair it instead of replacing it. Any opinions on the subject? How can I figure out how much it will cost. Is it something I can do myself? Do you have to be a licensed installer? Is it really going to last 20 years? Does it look like a new metal roof?

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you're a roofer, you're asking the wrong questions...ones that you should know the answer too, or at least be able to contact your GAF sales rep and discuss. If you're a property owner, you might try the DIY section of this forum. I'm feeling generous, so I will give you a generic scope for a metal roof restoration so you know what you are in for.

Insofar as the product. It is an elastomeric roof coating that will do very little for you without the proper prepwork to the existing roof system.

1. Examine substrate and repair damaged or bent panels, rust areas, holes, excessive gaps, etc
2. Replace all loose or missing fasteners with oversized fasteners
3. Remove rust with wire brush to remove flakiness and powder
4. Pressure wash the roof with minimum 3000 psi working pressure
5. Prime all areas of oxidation with zinc oxide or zinc chromate
6. Prime entire roof area with manufacturer's recommended priming agent
7. Seal all horizontal and vertical panel laps, penetration bases, and flashing edges with 2" seam tape
8. Retrofit existing curbed areas of the roof to allow for proper drainage (crickets, foampacks, etc)
9. Seal all butyl seam tape with brush course of elastomeric mastic
10. Seal all exposed fasteners with brush course of elastomeric mastic (bulk caulking gun or masons grout bag handy here)
11. Apply two coats of finish coat at rate of 1.5 gallons per square per coat (minimum) allowing at least 24 hours between coats. Second coat should be applied perpindicular to first coat when possibible.

If you are a roofer...you're welcome. That is your one free pass here on trade info you should already know. If you are a property owner, good luck. You should not attempt a project such as this yourself and you will regret the results for the life of your building if you do. Hire and PAY a professional to do their job. Noone on this site has any interest in running your company, so i strongly recommend you stay with what you know and let the roofing professionals do what they know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts