Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of the GAF, Certainteed, Tamko, and IKO which would you recommend? i use the GAF and never had a problem with them and only hear good things about them. But lately i've been getting alot better prices for the certainteed, tamko, and especially IKO. I just don't know enough about them to make a switch for a couple extra bucks. Certainteed i did hear they were decent. But as far as tamko and IKO i know nothing about them other than i heard the IKO company had some big time lawsuits against them but the person that told me that wasn't positive. so if anyone can let me know their experiences and opinions on the different shingles i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
out of the GAF, Certainteed, Tamko, and IKO which would you recommend? i use the GAF and never had a problem with them and only hear good things about them. But lately i've been getting alot better prices for the certainteed, tamko, and especially IKO. I just don't know enough about them to make a switch for a couple extra bucks. Certainteed i did hear they were decent. But as far as tamko and IKO i know nothing about them other than i heard the IKO company had some big time lawsuits against them but the person that told me that wasn't positive. so if anyone can let me know their experiences and opinions on the different shingles i would appreciate it.

Do your research on GAF/ class action suits. They have a terrible record with the public. Certainteed makes a decent shingle as does Iko

·
Roofer
681 Posts
I have installed them all with out problems.

Far as searching out lawsuits it depends on the area you search,
if you search my area you'll find Certainteed has more lawsuits themselves than all three other manufacturers you mentioned combined, but they did stop manufacturing the two lines that gave them the most premature failures and revamped the others.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I have installed them all without problems but find gaf to have the best quality since they merged with elk. Before that, I would only touch elk. Owens corning has the "sure-nail technology" which is a joke and just an excuse for installers to have more of an area to miss and I may have replaced around 500 squares of 12 year old or less certainteed shingles this past year.

Any company with the size and history of Gaf, or any other major manurfacturer is going to have problems with lawsuits. I just have the least problems with Gaf since they merged.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

I have read about the failures of every product listed. here is how I look at it.
Each manuf. has plants over all the country. Each of those plants may or may not have had problems. Easiest way I know is to contact locals and ask which have not caused them problems.:thumbsup:

One other thing, don't change unless it is a dramatic difference in cost. When tyou have something that workss, why change???

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have installed them all without problems but find gaf to have the best quality since they merged with elk. Before that, I would only touch elk. Owens corning has the "sure-nail technology" which is a joke and just an excuse for installers to have more of an area to miss and I may have replaced around 500 squares of 12 year old or less certainteed shingles this past year.

Any company with the size and history of Gaf, or any other major manurfacturer is going to have problems with lawsuits. I just have the least problems with Gaf since they merged.

Yea, Elk was the best shingle ever made IMO. The GAF class actions I'm referring to were in the 90's. GAF shingles were delaminating all across the country and they were blaming the installers. It clearly was a glu on the headl;ap area that caused the failures. Meanwhile customers were left out on a limb. I know of a couple good companies that were closed down due to GAF's stonewalling.

OC is no better or worse than GAF or Certainteed IMO. I just hate what GAF did and therefore I won't buy there products ever again.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've installed all of them. I dislike GAF especially since they have reduced alot of their asphalt content and due to their monopolistic practices which aren't good for us, the customer. I have Tamko on my house and put Tamko on my father's house.

IN regards to class actions, everyone's been sued at one time or another... except Tamko as best I can tell. I did a web search one weekend and noticed there are no class action suits, but there are a few scum bag ambulance chasing lawyers trying to put one together.

I only promote Tamko and Certainteed. If the customer requests something else we will install it after making necessary disclaimers. I dislike OC also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have installed all brands mentioned and have only had problems with OC.

What I tell everybody that asks, is go with the brand that you have the best relationship with the factory rep.

If you don't have a relationship with a rep maybe you should not be installing thousands of dollars of their warranted product.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Grumpy - Not sure if you read my other post but where did you read/hear about this thing with the GAF shingle. I havent noticed it at all and would like to find out where you got the information from so I can try to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Alot depends on the plant and area you are in like framer53 said.

I have used them all, and seen problems with every brand. The least problems by far with Certainteed though.
As far as quality just by feel, the OC's are garbage, closely followed by the GAF's. The people who are actually happy with them must get them from an Elk plant which is now owned by GAF. The Landmark is definitely the toughest of the group and also has more algae resistance(copper) than the competition.

I really like the look of the Malarkeys, but haven't used them yet.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
It was first brought to my attention Bam Bam by a life long friend who works at home depot, and used to manage the building materials department. He mentioned one day that more pallets are being delivered on the trucks from GAF to the stores. Hmmmm let's think about this for a second, there are laws governing how much weight a truck can carry. In addition there are limits on the weight a truck can actually carry, if the laws did not exist. Would a corporation send out partial truck loads? I personally don't think so, it takes a truck driver the same ammount of time to deliver 1 square or 120 squares.

Now fast forward a few months and just in conversation my ABC sales rep commented the exact same thing to me about the weight issue and the pallets per truck. I mentioned to her at that time that she's the 2nd person to tell me this. She mentioned that one of her fork lift drivers said the pallets aren't straining the fork lifts as much as they used to when lifting and moving. My ABC rep was the one who mentioned to me that GAF is using less asphalt because of the asphalt shortage in 2008.

Now I will say that I have never weighed a bundle before or after 2008. I know when weighs actually mattered back when architecutrals were 25 year, they were 255 LBS a square. Correct? I suppose I could look up the propaganda now but I am just speaking off the top of my head.

All of this is heresay, but I didn't like GAF before. Now when I hear two independant sources telling me tale of one manufacturer cutting quality and both sources are using the same example it makes me think. It seems the truck and forklift drivers are the only ones aware... or maybe after the asphalt crisis, gaf started adding the asphalt back into the shingle. I really do not know.

Maybe I should go buy a bundle of timberlines and weigh them then weigh a bundle of landmarks and see which one weighs more.

MJW around here Malarkey's are 40 year shingles. Not alot of customers willing to shell out for 40 year shingles in this market. it's hard enough to get them to want to pay for flashing replacements and ventilation improvements.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Yeah I want to say they were around 240-250 a square. You brought up good points. I am wondering is thats just their natural shadow line or their prestique hd. Hmmm. You got me thinking.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Certainteed landmark 30 ar or Tamko heritage 30 ar. :thumbsup: But for the record gaf timberlines are big down where i live.:laughing: Also there is a IKo plant in our county. Bottomline you pretty much have to tell the roofer you wan't landmark or heritage. If not he is pushing gaf or iko. I personally think the landmark is just a beautiful shingle with its shadow lines compared to others.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I think 99% of roofers agree IKO is the worst.

I think the other big four in the states - GAF, OC, Certainteed, Tamko are probably for the most part interchangable and all it really comes down to is preference and who you have personally had the best luck with.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Grumpy, our supplier weighs the bundles quite often in their shop. The Landmark is always heavier than the Timberline.
I have read on here though that others prefer the Timberline, even after comparing them side by side to a Landmark, so all I can guess is they are from different manufacturing plants than up here.
Our Landmarks used to come from Ohio and one other place (can't remember) and they were not as good as the ones made here in MN. The GAF's are made at a plant here also, but like I said, they don't compare to the Landmark in any way when comparing them side by side.

I agree, it's tough to sell any roof right now, let alone upgrades. I was really hoping to do some nice upgrades for people this year with our siding, but it doesn't look good at all. Everyone wants basic, if they want anything at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I only recommend installing a Certainteed Integrity roof with Landmarks.

My least favorite is GAF/ELK Timberline. They seem cheap and will crack half way through the warranty period. As a matter of fact most I see crack at 10 years.

Recently roofed a house for a really cheap builder who had us put on Atlas Castlebrook 35 year shingles. Didn't tell the tight wad but gotta say those were the biggest piece of garbage shingles I've ever installed. Guess he saved a grand on the materials compared to the Landmarks so it was truly worth it for the builder. Recall roofers on these forums saying good things about Atlas. These were the Menards line and perhaps the cheapest ones they make. Before I say Atlas is garbage will have to try a real laminate prouct they make first.

I did a few of the ELK roofs before they got bought out and didn't like them at all, very slipery, ton of lose granuals. Did inspect one that was 20 years old and still had a little life left. It was said to be a 30 year laminate shingle, 115sq single family.

Done some roofs with the IKO Cambridge and got to say they seem like a much better quality shingle than the Timberline. It's been over 5 years so they may have changed some things since then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
roofing

I like using tamko shingles my self , not crazy about oc , my supply house got some iko shingles in and selling them for 15.00 a sq cheaper , but they are #2 , i would not buy them , but you would be surpised at the roofers that are buying them , how can you garantee a quailty roof with #2 shingles , i would not install them ,i'll just pay for a good shingle

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Decker that's just it. Most guys don't care about quality. They just care about staying busy or profitability, since they work for wages. They don't care about their reputation, they do more work than the quality guys and will keep doing more work, and will get referrals from cheapos to cheapos saying "hire this guy he's cheap." Then when the roof starts failing, if these guys are still in business they'll blame the manufacturer and keep on keeping on with their low-ball selves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts