Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got any info on liabilty insurance in new york. seems new law passed that allows workers injured on job to collect not just from workerscomp but from your general liability insurance as well.resulting in gl rate going up by 10 fold.Seems unless you can selfinsure you are going to be uninsured.We were seeking to expand to new york but plans are on hold .

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Wow... do you have a web link on that topic of employees claiming against gen liabillity for comp stuff? I'd like to read a little more about that, since it sounds a little scary to me. I got my g.l. coverage by doing an online search. I was with a local gal, but I got rates that were about 1/2 for the same coverages from an online place.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is probally a state specific issue.I know new york has a scaffold law that predates workmanscomp,not sure if this is reason or if new laws were passed.I know insurance industry has been trying to over turn this law.Personal injury and w.c. claims are big bussiness due to state laws that generaly favoring injured party.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A question: Does it allow the "victim" to sue a third party supplier (i.e. the old exploding paint can supplier) or the contractor who bought said can of defective paint. In any event, the lawyers will be placing orders for new BMW's for the wife and the girlfriend.

·
Registered
118 Posts
GL Insurance

bergenbldr said:
anyone got any info on liabilty insurance in new york. seems new law passed that allows workers injured on job to collect not just from workerscomp but from your general liability insurance as well.resulting in gl rate going up by 10 fold.Seems unless you can selfinsure you are going to be uninsured.We were seeking to expand to new york but plans are on hold .
I Don't know about liabilty insurance but N.Y.S. made a big change in
Workers Comp insurance requirements. example If you were doing a $ 60,000.00 renovation on my house NO workers comp. is required I must show the bld. inspector my home owners insurance which has workers comp.
the catch contractors cannot work more than 40 hrs-- thats agrate hours. on Monday 2-labors work 10 hrs. each Tue 2-plumbers work 10 hrs. each NO more work on the job the rest of the week.

If you want I'll give you the phone # N.Y.S. Workers Comp Board

Al

·
Registered
118 Posts
GL Insurance

bergenbldr said:
Workers Comp insurance requirements. example If you were doing a $ 60,000.00 renovation on my house NO workers comp. is required I must show the bld. inspector my home owners insurance which has workers comp.
the catch contractors cannot work more than 40 hrs-- thats agrate hours. on Monday 2-labors work 10 hrs. each Tue 2-plumbers work 10 hrs. each NO more work on the job the rest of the week.

Al

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theman said:

Al
So your saying a homeowner can provide w.c. coverage up to a maximum of 40 hours a week for work being performed on there home.Is there an annual limit to this ??? I still don,t see that this exempts an employer requiered to have a w.c. policy,from that req..I don,t think this coverage is standard with any homeowners ins. policy,and its probaly not good idea anyway as worker who sustains an injury covered buy the scaffold law might be able to sue you personally.I know of a homeowner in nys being sued by employee of roofing company ,who fell of roof.Not sure of details of case.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shopdust said:
A question: Does it allow the "victim" to sue a third party supplier (i.e. the old exploding paint can supplier) or the contractor who bought said can of defective paint. In any event, the lawyers will be placing orders for new BMW's for the wife and the girlfriend.
Not sure but i believe w.c. protects only the employer not a third party or subcontractor or g.c..Their are two parts to a w.c.policy,the first part provides for medical costs of injured employee the second employers liability part, allows employee to collect for pain and suffering as result of thier injury.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Workers Comp.

I don't know about who can sue who, but in the town I live, before a building permit is issued you must have workers comp. or an exemption
form,
exemption form # 1 I am doing the work myself, no employees
# 2 My contractor is self employed no employees
# 3 I'm not paying or compensation any way, church
fire dept. volenteer groups
# 4 I have home owners insurance here is polcy with
workers comp. attached
The term no employees mean ---- no borrowed employees, no subcontractors, no friends, no family members.

* there is no annual limit on home owners work comp. it works per permit.
* all home owners insurance have workers com. on their polcy

You cannot use this on new construction it has to be owner occupied.

yes the total hours worked in one week must not exceed 40 hrs., total hrs of all employees It is the responsible of the home owner to keep track of hrs. worked

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good to know but since we need to subcontract work and its not likely we would have 40 hrs or less a week worked by employees we would still need w.c. policy.Also req. for licences we would need in certain localitys.Question ,does owner need to provide notice to insurance copany or is coverage automatic???

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
bergenbldr said:
seems new law passed that allows workers injured on job to collect not just from workerscomp but from your general liability...resulting in gl rate going up by 10 fold.Seems unless you can selfinsure you are going to be uninsured.
I don't understand, why would you end up being uninsured? Doesn't everyone have to have GL insurance and subsequently charge for it in the price of the service offered? I've never heard of a small to medium size contractor that can self-insure for WC/GL.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pipe, seems contractors are getting renewals on g.l. of 50,000 to 100,000 min.A some point you can no longer pass on cost because customer will A;hire lower cost uninsured contractor or B;just not do project.Were not talking about prevailing wage type contracts here.This may be trade specific too.w.c. is not realy the problem,as the rates are set by the state,but g.l. is a free market and insurance companys can set rates or deny coverage as they see fit.Unless g.l. is req.for licencing it is legal to not have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts