Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread earlier about asbestos removal. I was recently doing some work in FL. for a contractor that did asbestos abatement right after hurricane Ivan. I thought the same way the rest of you do, that you needed a special license and certification, but... It turns out that asbestos shingles are a non-fryable type of asbestos, which means that anyone can rip it off and take it strait to the dump. You may want to check your local dumping laws but it is non-fryable. I got that from the horses mouth.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yeah, there's shingles and siding too, the asbestos is embedded in a matrix that prevents it from becoming airborne. However, if you cut the stuff with power tools you will release it. Even smashing it up or breaking it will release some. If you have to deal with it, wet it and treat it gently, a little dish soap in the water helps too, but watch that, of course, on roofs. Rich.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Don't think that this frees you from protective gear, especially respirators. Asbestos is fibrous and, generaly, impenetrable. The shingles that are being torn off will expose the fibers as they are torn apart and expose you to the dust. This also applies to old plaster and a variety of other construction materials. At one time, asbestos was a popular binding material.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't misunderstand the reason I posted this info. I wasn't trying to imply that anyone should go about removing asbestos carelessly. Only that you need not walk away from a job because you're not certified in asbes removal. Also, if the shingles are kept wet during removal, there is no need for respirators. I have seen it done on several roofs and this was by professionals. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My dad's specialty was renovating Spanish style buildings and homes built from the turn of the century through the '40's. Most were loaded with asbestos and we never wore any protective gear. This is not to say that it is right, but I also don't recall anyone dieing directly from it.
When I'm creamated, there may be somebody questioning the little pile of stuff that would not burn. Wish that I could be there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts