Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to keep the nap of the roller on the roller?

It seems everytime we paint a wall (which is just long enough for me to forget what happend the last time) we get the little fuzzes (nap) stuck in the paint. I don't get the expensive skins because we paint once in awhile and usually just throw them away when we are done. Is it just low quality skins or is there a break in procedure I should follow. I use water base exclusively.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Lower quality rollers will come apart more easily over rougher surfaces.
But you could take some blue or masking tape to a new roller to remove any loose material before you use it.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Very good advice allready. Like PWG said, spin it out with water. That will make your paint flow better, and make it easier to clean when you're done. The tape Humble mentioned is neccessity or your walls will be covered with all the loose fibers from the nap...oh yeah, strain your paint too! (one of my pet peeves)

·
Banned
187 Posts
I always buy quality roller covers.

The time it takes to play around with tape or a blast from the water hose to remove the fuzzies, I can already have paint on the wall.

Plus, depending on the surface your painting, a quality cover will last for "mucho" gallons of paint.

Purchase top of the line tools. You can't go wrong.

Also, I've never heard of a roller cover referred to as a "skin".

A skin as I know it is a layer that forms on the surface of paint in the container as a result of exposure to air.

Hey, who knows, perhaps I learned something today. God knows I've got plently of empty space up there! LOL

Tom
Ranger Painting

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advise. I heard then referred to as roller skins, or wait maybe that was another lifetime.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Tonkadad said:
Thanks for all the advise. I heard then referred to as roller skins, or wait maybe that was another lifetime.
I've heard them called skins too.

You mentioned you buy el-cheapos because you don't paint much. I bet if you added up the cheap ones and compared to the cost of using only one or two good ones per quarter, you'd be saving $$$ in the big picture. Plus, take the cost of the expensive cover, mark it up, and make the customer pay for it.

Another thing, we almost always do 2 coats. Usually hairs will come off a roller in the first couple passes of it, then chill out. If we see hairs on the wall, they disappear as we always run a sanding screen over the surface before the second coat. And on the second coat with same nap, no hairs will come out.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
No fuzzy paint for me
Must be the sleeves
I think I would also recommend a better quality roller sleeve, even though you don't paint much

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Even the highest quality naps will shed on the first use. If you don't want to spin them or use tape (I do both for different reasons) do what PWG said and sand between coats. I hope that everyone here does that (sanding) ANYWAY! Like I said earlier, I will use the tape to clean up any loose hairs on a new nap, 1 min tops. Then, I will spin it with some water to help it work better with the paint, 30 seconds tops. My paint is strained at the same time, so when I go in I'm putting the cleanest nap, the cleanest paint, etc on the walls right away. I sand between coats for adhesion more than to remove anything from the paint, and of course the occasional piece of "trash" on the walls is unavoidable at best. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
74 Posts
yep i tape them. takes short amount of time. maybe if your second coating a lil to quick the damp wall is sticky and pulling off the nap. same thing with oil based on walls if not thinned sometime ive had it pull off nap bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some shred-resistance roller covers are as good as they claim -my favourites have been the 3/8'' 18'' naps from the Wooster (widely available at the Lowe's around here in PA), and MAB signature series. (Btw, the worst naps known by me probably are the orange-colored ones from the Home Depot).

On an unrelated note, many a time, on some large projects I use the same nap for over 2-3 weeks (without cleaning it out everyday or at any time!), and still not a single fibre from the nap is found on the walls. What I usually do is, at the end of the day, soak the nap thoroughly and excessively with paint, remove it from its frame, roll it up in a piece of painter's plastic or aluminum foil, gently 'squeeze' it throughout to fill in any small air pockets (between the wrapper and the nap) with paint. Dont leave it in high-temp places though..

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
If I'm using the same setup the next day in the same paint, I will often times dunk my roller down in the 5 gallon bucket, pop the tinting lid outta the bucket lid, and put the lid on with the end of the roller handle sticking outta the hole. Then, I throw a wet rag over the hole around the handle. That way I don't have to do anything but take the lid off and start rollin again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.