Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Apologies for not introducing myself before making a few posts, but heres goes...

I am currently in the US Army. After my service (JUL 2014) I am going to be pursuing a degree in Building Construction Management and then eventually becoming a Residential General Contractor. I would also like to become a journeyman tradesman, most likely as an electrician.

I was previously an Engineering major, and worked as a CNC Programmer/Engineering Intern for a manufacturing company for a couple of years. Although I loved the people I worked with/for, I found out that spending almost all day in front of a computer is not for me.

My goal in this industry is to be a home builder. I want to be the go to guy when the best work needs to be done. I am not looking to do BIG things or have the largest company, I just want to be able to carve out a living doing what I love to do. This includes being able to spend a lot of time and money on philanthropic projects such as becoming involved in habitat for humanity, building homes designed for low income families, building homes for charity, etc.

I am a novice DIYer at the moment, but am a very quick learner. I have already learned so much about the trade from this forum, and look foward to learning even more. Please feel free to offer any advice, comments, etc.

Thanks,

SPC Thao
US Army

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome---You are kind if rural up there----better be good--best of luck --Mike---
Thanks, and you are correct about it being rual, but I love it. I prefer small town honesty and community over big city riches anyday. I plan to do a lot of my work in Madison and am posturing myself for the future growth of the SW Wisconsin area.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Good luck. There are a lot of large, medium and small home builders around here. I'm not even sure how you could break into it without a massive amount of start up capital (I'm talking 250k minimum).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts