Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a deck yes another to build with will need piers no biggie do it all the time. This one has asphalt shingles and can't quite get my head around ho to flash the masonry piers as it comes off the parapet wall. Anybody ever do anything like this? Any sketches pict details would be greatly appreciated. 99% of our roof are off of rubber torch down or epdm.
Can use help on this one.

Thanks
City

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
got picture to attached. I did slight edit. The black rectangles are the prospective masonry piers. Like mentioned up the post we do this a lot but my 1st time on a shingle roof. I was thinking copper or galv flashing the usual install from bottom up step up tuck point a 1/4" x 3/4" groove to fit teh flashing seal with triple poly sealant and secure with reglets (rivets) in the masonry. nail down under the top layer of shingle and more geocel. Hope this could give a better idea and maybe some in site.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
got picture to attached. I did slight edit. The black rectangles are the prospective masonry piers. Like mentioned up the post we do this a lot but my 1st time on a shingle roof. I was thinking copper or galv flashing the usual install from bottom up step up tuck point a 1/4" x 3/4" groove to fit teh flashing seal with triple poly sealant and secure with reglets (rivets) in the masonry. nail down under the top layer of shingle and more geocel. Hope this could give a better idea and maybe some in site.
Still no picture...

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
From what I can see, you will need to flash it just like a chimney. There are a ton of threads on here on the optimal way to do that. Basically you pull the shingles back and flash the roof/pier intersection, then you groove the pier above that flashing and install counterflashing down from the groove, over the first layer of flashing to keep moisture from slipping down in the gap. Always flash from the bottom up when overlapping pieces.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I can see, you will need to flash it just like a chimney. There are a ton of threads on here on the optimal way to do that. Basically you pull the shingles back and flash the roof/pier intersection, then you groove the pier above that flashing and install counterflashing down from the groove, over the first layer of flashing to keep moisture from slipping down in the gap. Always flash from the bottom up when overlapping pieces.
that's what I had in mind but didn't use chimney. Thanks for clearing up E..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts