Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over a .pdf spec sheet on a wall oven I am thinking of buying. It says to "fuse both sides of the line".

If I use a 8g 4wire and a 40a breaker thats a fuse on the box side, so what does it mean to fuse the other side?

Is there a breaker junction box that's put in the wall next to the cable leading to the oven?

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are talking about all unground wires, specifily the hot wires. Check the manufacturer's label for voltage and amphere. 120/240: 120/208, then check if single phase or 3 phase, if house that is normally single phase,

The wall over should be 240 volt, meaning that you need two hot wires, each hot wire is to be connected to a breaker, thus mean a 2 pole circuit breaker. If both hot wire are landed or connected to each phase and each side of pole of the circuit breaker you comply with the manufacturer's requirement for fusing. A junction box is not necessary if you are making a direct connect to the equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I was planning on just using the 8gu 4wire w/ the 2pole 40a breaker that's there already.

By the manuf stating "both sides" I see now they mean "both phases" instead of "both ends"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts