Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A home owner's 'incredible deal' on exterior trim turned out not to be that incredible. I generally spec 5/4 trim on all Hardie lap siding homes as the lapped portion of the trim ends up right about 3/4" thick, from the wall.

Besides the fact that I think the 5/4 would look better, the 4/4 will probably work for the corner boards. Window casings are a different story. Vinyl flanged windows, so the frame projects 1" from wall face. The 3/4" trim thickness is gonna look really strange there.

HO can't return the purchase as it was a closeout item. Wants to know which material to use as a 1/4" backing to fur out the trim around the windows. Must be cost effective and at least weather resistant. A few things came to mind, but thought I would ask around here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
547 Posts
1/4" lattice, but be sure to prime first. If you are confident it would be completely covered you could use plywood , paint or caulk well

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
If you are out of the weather, and you should be, nothing cheaper than 3/8th's lath. Bundles of 4ft pieces real cheap. GMOD

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Why not pack out the trim with scraps of the siding itself. You're sure to have rips left from under and over windows, under the soffit, cutoffs, etc.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Why not pack out the trim with scraps of the siding itself. You're sure to have rips left from under and over windows, under the soffit, cutoffs, etc.:thumbsup:

To much work, all those rips will have bevels, trim will not lay flat, i think it would be a PITA, GMOD

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
To much work, all those rips will have bevels, trim will not lay flat, i think it would be a PITA, GMOD
Then what the heck was this? :blink:Not a beveled board in the bunch.

Attachments

Reactions: cowboysdad

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, they aren't beveled. They are 5/16" thickness full width.

Don't know why I hadn't considered using the scraps for furring. Thanks

BTW Loneframer, did you do those ballustrades? Nice work if you did.

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
I buy sheet goods rip strips to size i want
The lathe seems to be a little inconsistent around here
I dont worry to much about priming or anything
If I do back them out I leave some long and short so it will flush out the material for me

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Yeah, they aren't beveled. They are 5/16" thickness full width.

Don't know why I hadn't considered using the scraps for furring. Thanks

BTW Loneframer, did you do those ballustrades? Nice work if you did.
No, I framed and sided but the GC and his carpenters did the balustrades. They are Spanish Cedar.:thumbsup:

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Is the siding installed directly over the housewrap and sheathing or do you have the planks on furring strips, creating a drainage plane?

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
dielectricunion said:
Is the siding installed directly over the housewrap and sheathing or do you have the planks on furring strips, creating a drainage plane?
Pretty sure he solved that problem 4 years ago.

(sorry man, couldn't help myself:
I've done it too.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts