Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bath that I stripped down to studs. It was lathed and plastered to 1 inch. I want to maintain the 1 inch for the door jamb and window trim. How should I drywall? Would you...

Fur with 1x2" and then use quarter inch drywall

Or

Double up on 1/2" drywall

Or ... Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
I'd double up on the 1/2" drywall. 1/4" is to flimsy.

You could also just put 1/2" drywall strips on the framing members then install 1/2" over that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd double up on the 1/2" drywall. 1/4" is to flimsy.

You could also just put 1/2" drywall strips on the framing members then install 1/2" over that.
Yea. That quarter inch drywall would be too flimsy

Where can I get 1/2 strips? I guess I could buy plywood and cut that

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Yea. That quarter inch drywall would be too flimsy

Where can I get 1/2 strips? I guess I could buy plywood and cut that
Use 1/2" drywall. :thumbsup:

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I always rip some strips on my table saw when I encounter your situation. Rip them so they are flush with your flange to keep the drywall from hooking/curving at the tub/shower flange.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Weigh out the cost of ripping the drywall sheets down to 2" strips, or just double-up the sheets, or do both at different spots. I guess it largely depends on the size of the room.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Something to think about - Are the walls plumb and square? If yes -go with the 1/2" over 1/2" as said above.

If the walls are not plumb, as they did not need to be with wood lath, Than it might pay to sister the existing 2X keeping the new 2X proud of the original by the 1/2" or what ever will make the walls plumb. This is an important step if you will be doing tile work.
Bill T

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I always rip some strips on my table saw when I encounter your situation. Rip them so they are flush with your flange to keep the drywall from hooking/curving at the tub/shower flange.
I don't think that's the O/P's question . But I like how you do things!

Around here we deal with the production homes the best we can.. We stop the board at the edge of the flange ..then pre-fill with 20 min..then tape and finish ..

Attachments

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Gotta love It!!!! The plumber sets the tub ..Then throws screws in the flange that sticks out a 1/4''

I don't see why the wallboard wouldn't sit flat to that! :laughing:

Reactions: Big Shoe

·
Registered
13,973 Posts
I usually buy a sheet or two of 3/8" or 1/2" then rip it on the table saw. At one time we used wood lath. The plywood is way more convient for nailers and accessories.

I also see alot of 5x7 baths with the tub wall being 60.5". We hug one side,usually the opposite of the diverter and use the furring on the plumbing wall to help clear cast iron hubs and other cut up framing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts