Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brian
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys,
We just moved into this home, we are renting it and last night was really the first time the heat had to be used since moving in.
Im not familiar with HVAC work which is the reason for my post. heres the problem, when the ignition starts and the gas comes on the gas seems to go out immedialtely when the coil cools down and the ingnition goes off.
gas goes out immediately and seems like furnance is blowing more cool air than hot. i actually counted the number of times the ignition came on this morning, 50 times in 20 minutes, Im no HVAC man but this does not seem like it is working as it should any and all advice would be helpful.
Forgive me if my termonology is not correct I believe this unit operates with an ignition type of system.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
380 Posts
Brian,

I am sure a mod is on the way with this info but go introduce yourself in the introductions section.

What part of Charleston are you in? I was born at Roper and have family in the area.

Not sure on the HVAC but there is quite a bit of knowledge lurking around here so hopefully someone can help out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The best advice I can give is to call a competent heat technician to visit. DIY is not conducive to safely using gas or any other fuel.

·
Brian
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I live in N.Charleston area off of Dorchester Rd near Ashley phosphate. Originally from B more. been here 5 years.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You mentioned that this is your first time turning on the heat since you moved in. Just to be sure, did you call the gas company to start up service? Most of us have been on a service call to find out that the gas wasn't turned on. Off hand, since the "coil" came on, it is likely that all safeties are good. Good luck

·
Brian
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flashheating- Yes gas is on because I was here when they turned it on and we have a gas oven working fine.
Been there- Yes it is his responsibility you are correct just wanting to know for my own info.
Update- The furnance has been working fine since I wrote the original post. igntion comes on, gas lights, heat works, fan blows correctly, temp reaches desired setting, fan goes off.
Landlord is still going to have it looked at.
Thanks for all the responses.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Is it possible that the gas supply to the furnace needed to be purged of air? Also, I had a similar problem with short cycling due to an extremely dirty air filter.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dur

What type of furnace is it?
If it is a modular furnace Coleman/Nordyne/Miller/Piece of SH** than the problem could be with the intake or combustion air intake. Make sure that the stack is free of bugs (your intake/exhaust) and what you want to also make sure of is that your fan is functioning, a good tech will come out and check the pressure differential across your combustion fan and make sure you have a delta. Some times the prop comes loose and does not work right. Also they will check your orifaces (on your furnace) for spiders or bugs that are attracted to the gas (especially lp) if you have a web across an Lp oriface on your main burner than your flame will not burn as hot!!!
and one last
STOP LOOKING FOR ANSWERS ONLINE, CALL SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND IS CERTIFIED, HAS THE PROPER TOOLS, AND CARRIES INSURANCE.
YOU ARE GUNNA SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts