Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Carrier furnace Model 58PB100131CA or 58PB100130CA, the pilot light is working fine, but the furnace's burners will come on and about 10 seconds and cut off including the pilot light. I've changed the thermo coupler and has not solved the problem. I was reading that it sounds light a gas rod sensor, but I looked for one and couldn't find on on this unit.

What should I do next? PLease help.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Being that it is standing pilot, very unlikely you have a flame sensor since the thermocouple is what tells the gas valve that you have a lit pilot. I have searched through my Carrier Blue Books and cannot find any listing of this furnace to look for any specific safety that may be cutting the flame off. Do you hear the gas valve click as if the power has been removed to it? Do the burners slowly go out or is is fast (flame disappears almost instantly)? Do the burners roll out/flash back to the burner compartment/ends of the burners? I am inclined to lean towards the gas valve being the culprit and not staying open, but without seeing or knowing more about it, it is just an educated guess. You may want to call out someone to look at it and determine the exact cause before tossing a bunch of money at parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carrier furnace

What exactly is the gas value, is there a way to test it? The way the flame goes out is instantly. It is like gas is cut off right away. They don't roll back on the burner, it is a instaneous cut off of flame. I do seem to remember hear a click. How much is a gas value?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The gas valve is what turns the gas on to the burners and off when the thermostat has its set point satisfied. As for the price, it can vary from contractor to contractor depending on their cost from supplier and mark-up and the region you are in. Contact your local Carrier Dealer(s) and they can help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
testing?

Is there a way to test the gas value and what does it look like and where exactly would it be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts