Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One part time guy showed up to measure depth of holes with a key chain tape measure his mom probably bought him to put in his christmas stocking. We had 40 mile an hour wind gusts that day. He tried a half down times to get the "parade ribbon" tape swirling in the hole as it was flopping around like a flag on the beach before a hurricane. He finally looked at us laughing and said. Looks good. I better get out of here before one of you throws me in this hole. :laughing:

Female part time code officer told a contractor friend of mine that the fiberglass insulation failed and had to be turned around because the lettering on the vapor barrier was upside down. :eek:

We were working on a duplex apartment building I owned near the town boundary line. A code officer from the another town came barging in saying we were shut down for not having a permit and he accidentally kicked over a bucket of paint and then slipped and fell and landed in the middle of the puddle of paint like he slipped on a banana peel.

As I was helping him up I explained where the town line was and we did have a permit from the correct town. He looked like he saw a ghost and then burst into laughter and said "Im going to go home and finish the ending of my bad day. :clap:

About two months ago this older odd duck code guy shows up every day to watch us from the side yard. One of my carpenters said he was making footprints in the snow for 20 minutes and then covering them back up. He finally asked him if there was anything he needed from us. The guy says no and says I was just making foot prints. Carpenter couldn't resist and says "ever try snow angels? They can be fun." Code guy says "not recently" looks at his watch and then got in his car and left.

This was the same guy that showed up another time and told me it didn't look like the lot would work for the project we wanted to do. I said what are you concerned about? He says "It isn't flat" I asked if he had seen the site work and drainage drawings I provided with the permit application. He says "um yea I think so" I say I have a copy in the truck. Do you want me to review them with you? He says "Na. It sounds like you have it figured out.

Hahaha

·
Registered
344 Posts
About 8 years ago I was building this large post framed warehouse. We went through 3 code inspectors. The first retired during the project then the township hired an ex-cop.
The ex-cop used to show up in an old police car.
One weekend we set the trusses. Fronts were 75' and backs were 35'.
Monday he comes out to inspect and the first thing he says is "ah man I wish you guys would have called me. I never saw trusses set before and would have like to see how it's done".
He eventually got hired by an independent company that did inspection until the township hired another inspector.

Another time building a garage. Independent inspector shows up and only thing he asks for is the truss specs. Looks at them and hands them back and says "ok looks good".
Didn't see him the rest of the project.

Last winter built a big roof system over and existing deck. Arch plans and engineering plans submitted, permit issued. I never saw the inspector once. Between me and the homeowner calling for inspections he never came out. He always said he did.
He would always tell the homeowner everything looks good keep going.
The owner would ask me if I ever saw him show up when he said he did. Said only inspector to ever show up was for electrical.
Both me and the homeowner have everything documented. Everything was built to plan but you never know.

The one thing I always tell the inspectors is if they are in the area stop by. My job sites are always open.
More than one time they have passed an inspection without me calling them for a formal inspection.
It keeps me going without waiting for an inspector to get out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another code guy says "how are you digging the post holes?" I say Bobcat with auger bit. He says "OK just call me when the building is done. I only worry about the hole depth when some idiot is trying to dig them by hand and gets all tuckered out before he's done" :laughing:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I failed inspection because a plumbing inspector wanted expansion loops on my pex lines (even the cold)...he wanted me to loop up inside a joist....pex is like a noodle...it probably has a few inches of slack for every 2'.....and why would the cold expand?

had to call the manufacturer and get a installation book for him.....

he also failed me because I didn't use 90's....why use pex if your going to use 90's at every turn...he said my fittings would break eventually from the stress of the pex having a bend

another inspector failed me for 4 code violations...I called the State of WI on him and was proven right on all 4 violations...

had a inspector fail me on every job for a year...he would just make stuff up and say that's how its done in his town(not in the WI code book).....I was ready to stop doing jobs in his town when he finally let off me....now he doesn't even show up on jobs sometimes...he trusts me

1/2 the inspectors out there have issues

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I built a lake home (140 miles away) and contractors to do what did not want to do or could not do. I needed a septic system and called a friend in construction and asked who to call and just did what he said.

I called the contractor and gave him the location of the home (roof and windows in) and he went out and gave me a price (lower than I expected). three days later, I went up for week-end, using local public toilet facilities. I got there and the area for the tank and drain field had been cleared of many 3" birch trees and grubbed out. There was a pit dug for a perk test and nothing more including a sketch of what was going in with his name on it.

The next weekend, I found the opened area leveled and seeded and a bill on the front door. I was worried about the inspection and permit and called the contractor and he said everything was done and approved. It was a a lake shore lot with a 100' setback from the lake. Another week or so later, I got a big letter from the county that had gold edged formal certificate of compliance including a registration number for the future. the certificate also listed the tank size, capacity, piping sizes and materials and the lengths of the drain field and what was put over the field. It turned out to worth it's weight in gold when I sold the place 10 years later.

I got to know the contractor that did the work and we eventually fished for walleyes together for a year or two. When I asked about the inspection, he said both himself and the inspectors have a lot of running around (many miles of driving) and it made everything easier if they knew what was needed and when to make everyone's job easier. I guess you just do not want an inspector in a foul mood as long as things are ready to look at.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Our inspector only shows up twice: before footer pour, and then for final sign-off. There are no separate inspectors, just one for the whole county.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Another code guy says "how are you digging the post holes?" I say Bobcat with auger bit. He says "OK just call me when the building is done. I only worry about the hole depth when some idiot is trying to dig them by hand and gets all tuckered out before he's done" :laughing:
We used the same thing to dig with. The one post frame building we did half of the holes ended up being in river rock that was dumped on the lot 50 years ago. The auger wouldnt dig but just spin the rocks. We had to had pick the rocks to 4' deep. A 36" diameter hole ended up over 4-5' or so in diameter.
It sucked big time. Thank God for the "rock clause" in the contract!

The inspector was anal and measured just about all of the holes to make sure they were 48" deep.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Last spring I built a deck and railing around our "zoning inspector's " pool, later I got permit for a room addtion. I called about a week later she said " oh you can come and pick it up I drove by, I know you know what your doing":thumbsup: ( you cant even see the place from the road?)...:whistling better than hating me I guess...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The only inspection on my lake I really saw an inspector was for the electrical.

I anticipated not finishing the interior right away, so I used conduit that could eventually be covered (I also like to solder copper pipe for a good feeling and satisfaction) but still be legal until I got that far.

I had a huge fireplace (on and angle and open toward the back then) with 2 multi-speed fans that were in the insert and the brick was built around the fireplace with a wall thermostat . Since the company I worked for had a electrican with all the good stuff, I got a collection short lengths of different color THHN from him to run in conduit around and to the insert before finishing.

I decided to get and inspection once everything was covered. The inspector made a bee-line for uncovered fireplace and asked where in the world you get the right wire? He then went to a box with conduit on an exposed box and said "perfect". He had no idea I installed the conduit, pulled the wires and my 12 year old son the hooked up everything knew what way to turn the screwdriver and that impressed the inspector and he left before the coffee was done cooking, but he took a donut with him.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
An inspector showed up on a job this summer. Was just walking around looking at things. Was shooting the sh!t with him, he was commenting on the stonework etc...All of a sudden he saws "are those boobies"!! There was a "bust" of the homeowner (fiarly attractive 30 something french woman. The he takes a good close look, says "Yup and they look like nice ones too" Then "Se you later...have a good day"

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Tuesday I had an electrical inspection on a remodel I'm gcing. My electrician has had some health problems so I told him I would meet with the inspector.

The guy shows up, we talk about how chitty the weather was, then talk about the Olympics, then some how we got on the topic of customers not respecting contractors time. He told a few stories about when he was an electrical contractor, he asks me if everything was done correctly, and I said yes. He slaps a sticker on the front window and tell me to tell Will to get better ( my electrician) and says I'll see you at final

Another one

Getting my co inspection, h/o plans on having a huge deck put on the next year. So we build a set if stairs and a small landing at the side entrance, build a railing across the sliding door on the back of the house. All pt lumber, very simple design I've done a hundred times making an L with 2 2x4s one for the hand rail and one to hold the 2x2 balusters. Code guy shows up and as he's walking up the stairs tells me a 2x4 is not a code approved hand rail???????

So I send my guy to lowes to grab some of that crappy hand rail stuff we use for basements and attic stairs. Screw it over the 2x4 and the code guy passed it. Wtf?????

I explained it to the H/O and we both laughed about it. Then I took it off

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
When I was building my house I walked into the most incompetent township in 30 years being in business.
My friend was building his house in the same town, so I was bouncing between 2 houses, doing my own and helping him out.
The head of the building department was corrupt and inspectors were so incompetent. It wasn't funny in the beginning, but when you look back it was one amusing experience.

Started with the back-fill inspection, inspector comes and says he wants to see the drain pipe around the footing, I will be back tomorrow, open a few places up so I can see it. No problem, open the pipe up in a few locations so he can see and me and my excavation guy next morning we wait for re-inspection. He pulls up on the job, looks in the hole and goes this is no good.
I said what is no good?! he goes you have debris in the hole. The only thing I had in the hole is small pieces of block holding down the fabric. I tell the inspector, debris per code considered to be wood, vegetation, garbage, etc. He goes to me that debris and you getting a red sticker and if you want, call the building department and if the head tells you ok to back-fill, then its fine with me.
It's only 9:30, the heat already hitting 90's, my veins are starting to pop out on my head, I tell the guy FK you, I'm not calling anybody, I am going to take a few pictures of the perimeter and I will back-fill. I go to my truck, get a camera and start taking pictures... as I pass by him, he goes, if you do as I say, I'm going around the corner to do an inspection and when I comeback I will let you back fill.
I flip him the bird and tell him that I will throw him in the hole if he still standing here after I'm done. As I put the camera away, he is writing something on the hood of his car, I tell the guy to start the back-fill and as I walk back he gives me the good sticker. So I said there was no need for that.

Footing inspection and new inspector comes, a girl who from what I heard don't know anything and just got her licenses and before that she wasn't even in the constriction industry. Plan shows 8" footing, I form for a 10" footing... she goes your footing is to big, the plan shows otherwise. I say so that is better,whats the problem? Almost an hour later she comes back and tells me she spoke to her boss, so everything is OK.
Sheeting inspection coming up, I heard he likes to take a 2x and hit plywood on the roof, places he can reach to see if the plywood nailed. So I put OSHA approved ladder on the side of my house with a can of spray paint and wait for him. He pulls up on the job to do sheeting inspection, takes the binoculars out and looks on my roof and says it looks good. So I start to FK with him a little, I said get your ass on the roof and inspect it thoroughly, this is my house I wanna make sure the job done right and you should be doing your job, and if you see something wrong, spray it and I will have it fixed and call for re-inspection. I guess he knew better, because in the older days for some reason the ladder always slipped from under pricks like that :censored:
He goes no everything is nice and gives me the sticker.
Framing inspection, it takes 2 days for one inspection... day 1 1st floor, day two 2nd floor. After all done and over with, she hands me a copy of a 2 page list with s^*t load of repairs I need to correct and a failed sticker. I'm looking at her and I say WTF is this. She goes I listed all recommended repairs you should make. I rip the paper up and tell her, that she was still in her daddies OO when I was building homes... if you see a code violation, put it down on the paper and put the code next to it, as your recommendation go, you can stick them up your A$$... If not get off my property and I will be calling DCA for re-inspection because you don't know WTF you doing. Before you know, I have the whole building department on my job checking everything. They take her list, walk in the house and come out with a good sticker and they apologize because she is new and simply was making recommendation. NP get the fk out (in a nice way of course)
Insulation inspection, again another inspector I never seen him there before... He didn't know me, but I knew who he was, a hack before he became an inspector and I mean a Hack of hacks. He goes to bust my OO about something... another altercation, this time I took a 2x and was ready to whack him, so he runs out of the car and takes off. Next morning I was flying out to Vegas to meet some friends thank god, because if I didn't leave, someone would get hurt.
I am on the plane waiting to take off, I get a call from the head of building department (I guess he told him about the incident) so he goes whats the problem. I tell him when I get back I will call you... so he goes all the inspectors here and I have you on the speaker... I said ohhyeah, they can hear me? so I say when I get back I will deal with each one of this Mother Fkrs and I hung up. Everybody on the plane looking at me, my wife is yanking my sleeve as I was going off on them :laughing:
When I got back, it was smooth sailing, not one problem.
This was the worst experience I encountered during 30 years in business. I never had a single incident or an argument with a construction official until I did the job in that Town, where Inspectors simply abused theirs official power and were negligent in everything they did.
After the whole place got cleaned, it was a pleasure working there, all the guys are knowledgeable and not there to bust your OO, instead they're working with you.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
When my house was built in the 1970's the developer reserved a right-of-way way out-lot between me and my neighbor for underground utilities to serve the next section of the neighborhood when it was built.. but it was never built.

Fast forward 30+ years later when I become the owner of the house. The developer came back to finish building the neighborhood. He built 19 houses on the other side of my wooded back yard and started digging the trench between me and my neighbor. Because the out-lot looked as if it was on my property, people in the neighborhood thought that it was a project that I was doing.

Anyhow, I was doing some work in the yard when this nosy busy-bodied neighbor sees the work going on beside my house and asks me if I had a permit for that. Naturally I said, "No." and went back to raking my leaves. Then he asked me what I was doing. I politely told him that it was none of his business and didn't think anything else about it.

A few days later this busy-bodied nit-wit returned threatening to call the authorities on me when I told him that I didn't need a permit and I had no plans on getting one.

He created a big stink over the whole thing by filing several complaints and I discovered that my house was visited by the local code enforcement officials when I got one of those red "STOP WORK" stickers on my window. :blink: So I went down to the code enforcement office to explain to them that there isn't any construction going on on my property.

When they pulled the complaint file and showed me the pictures that my nosy neighbor took, I told them that this isn't on MY property. The clerk behind the counter asked, "Well why didn't you tell us that before?":rolleyes: I really had no obligation to inform them of any projects that THEY approved! I asked them, "Do you not have a permit review process for things like this so that you know what's going on? Maybe I should come work for you guys."

Long story short, they dismissed the complaint but I never got any kind of apology for having my time wasted and that was pretty much the end of the issue.

·
Registered
Custom
13,226 Posts
Not that funny, but totally wacky...

Young "building inspector" in his 20's... wanted us to caulk the perimeter of the house where the sub-floor meets the walls, for energy savings, but didn't care that the HO had actual holes in the exterior of the cedar shakes on the outside...

His justification, well one is code and the other isn't.... :eek:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
When my friend, a plumber, built his own house, he called for the rough in inspection. The inspector shows up and checks framing, brief overview of HVAC, totally by passes the plumbing. My friend asks about the plumbing portion and the inspector admits he doesn't know anything about plumbing, if it's wrong, what's the worse that can happen, a little gurgle in the drains!!!

They walk among us

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
We have a new hotshot guy that's trying to shake things up. A lot of other contractors have butted heads, but I play his game and he likes me.

He's added a 'drywall screw inspection', which under some remodel situations can be difficult...

I've 'heard' that one can draw screw heads with a sharpie, and he'll be none the wiser..:whistling:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Did a new house a few years back, the local building inspector was also the local Fire Marshal/Inspector. All he got us on was about 10 wires that didn't have the caulking around the openings between floors, and about 3 fire blockings that were missing. Never seen the row of about 16' of joist hangers missing! Hay Dave do ya know who I am referring to? lol His name starts with Jim!

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I forgot about this one, but one of the post reminded me. I'm measuring a roof and a code guy spots me, stops and gets out of his car. He yells up to me "do you have a permit" I say no. So he tell me to get off the roof. Long story short I didn't get off the roof until I was done and the police were there. The cop comes and talks to me and asked why I didn't have a permit. I tell him I'm bidding the job. I didn't know I needed a permit to look at a roof. So he asks why I didn't just tell code that.. I would have if he wasn't being an ass hole. We both laughed and left.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts