Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 339 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'm gonna guess it held a loneframer, the ballet instructor, a case of beer but failed when the pizza delivery guy slammed dinner down. If it wasnt for the 3 meat bonanza the ballet instructor had to have it might have held. And it failed at the anchor of the 2x6 first causing a chain reaction and alot of shook up beer.
If he had a woman willing to play erector set out in the cold night, on a Friday night, he would have a ring on that finger so fast he would be the Notloneframer.

Oh wait, we aren't much different playing with him on a Friday night are we?

Nevermind, as you were

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here is the deflection caused by 220 lbs.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
If he had a woman willing to play erector set out in the cold night, on a Friday night, he would have a ring on that finger so fast he would be the Notloneframer.

Oh wait, we aren't much different playing with him on a Friday night are we?

Nevermind, as you were

I tried to show my wife how to lay out a stair stringer the other night out of boredom. She went upstairs before i got my framing square out of the truck. :sad: And yes the suspense is killing me.:mad:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Do the joist have end bearing or simply end nailed through the 2x? I guess I'm just no clear on what it is your exactly trying to prove. Do you want to see how much weight the system can support by transferring the load through the x-bracing and into the the saw horses or something else?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Do the joist have end bearing or simply end nailed through the 2x? I guess I'm just no clear on what it is your exactly trying to prove. Do you want to see how much weight the system can support by transferring the load through the x-bracing and into the the saw horses or something else?
Unless im mistaken hes trying to prove how x bracing makes a floor system act as 1 unit instead of individual pieces. Taking it to the point that the x bracing can support joists sitting on nothing.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'm thinking he is seeing if his scaffolding planks and pump poles can handle about 300 lbs falling about 4 feet straight down on them.:whistling

Reactions: neolitic

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Exactly. All the weight is being carried by the bridging essentially, transfered to the end joists. The field joists are not attached to the box or supported in any other way.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
Upon further review, I think this "test" is flawed. In the real application, the joist would be supported on both ends as well as being tied together. How about a side by side test. Build 2 mini floor systems out of 2x4's and install bridging in one system. Then add the weight and see how much differently they perform.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Methinks you misunderstand the purpose of bridging
Then what is it's purpose if it's not to unify the floor and force weight loading to be shared by adjacent joists?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Why is that?
Bridging would be much stonger if there were a bottom chord tying the joists together.
None of the codes allow a reduction in joist size because of the addition of bridging.
Bridging is used primarily for the STIFFINING of a floor structure by partially transferring the load on one joist onto the two on either side.
If a properly attached bottom cord were added then each row of bridging would become in effect a floor truss and would add to the structure.
Although The theory behind the experiment is valid the lack of a bottom chord invalidates the prescribed system strength.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Unless im mistaken hes trying to prove how x bracing makes a floor system act as 1 unit instead of individual pieces. Taking it to the point that the x bracing can support joists sitting on nothing.
That is exactly what I'm getting at.:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Bridging is used primarily for the STIFFINING of a floor structure by partially transferring the load on one joist onto the two on either side.
Which is the point of the test, taken to an extreme. The bridging is the structure in this case. Centerloading the model and transfering the load to adjacent joists. It's really not about the science as much as it is the destruction.:laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here is 270 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
FYI According to code, bridging is not required until you use a 2 x 14

R502.7.1 Bridging. Joists exceeding a nominal 2 inches by
12 inches (51 mm by 305 mm) shall be supported laterally by solid
blocking, diagonal bridging (wood or metal), or a continuous 1-inchby-
3-inch (25.4 mm by 76 mm) strip nailed across the bottom of joists
perpendicular to joists at intervals not exceeding 8 feet

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This is a cool experiment, Lone! I'm gonna go off the deep end and say you could drive a Smart or a Metro up onto that thing. you got enough weight plates?
I'd say easy more than 1,000 maybe not more than 2.

Mac

21 - 40 of 339 Posts