Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an idea to test wood X-bridging. Here is the setup.
I built a mock floor with 2' 2x10s, used 7/16 OSB for decking, 1x3 firring strips for bridging, stapled with 2" 7/16 crown staples(3-4 per end, as I typically would.) Obviously the floor is severely underbuilt. I nailed a 2x6 "box" to only the end joists to prevent them from just kicking out as weight was applied. You can see in the last pic that the field joists are shorter. The first pic is before the bridging was stapled.
Here is where the fun begins.
1. How much weight can be loaded above only the center joist before catastrophic failure?
2. Any guesses what the point of failure will be?

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the complete system before applying weight.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
More than you'd expect?
Less than you'd hope?
The weight of a Lone Framer? :laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More than you'd expect?
Less than you'd hope?
The weight of a Lone Framer? :laughing:
I did get up there to test it out, but I want to see some guesses before I tell you what happened.:laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Well you did it. Good for you.

I still say 220 lbs

And the cause of failure is the bottom connections on the outer most bridging pulled away and I hope you got your feet out of the way when it went kaboom.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You haven't had a date in awhile have you? :laughing:

My hat's off to you man, test the "theories". I personally have never been a fan of bridging, but I understand the use.
Had a date with the ballet instructor 2 weeks ago.:thumbup:
I got the idea to test bridging a few days ago, couldn't let it go.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'll say 800 lbs

·
Contractor
7,655 Posts
700 lbs.

And I have no idea the cause of failure, but you should probably refer to it as the point of failure, the weakest link. The cause is, of course the excess weight.

edit: How did you add weight?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I'm gonna guess it held a loneframer, the ballet instructor, a case of beer but failed when the pizza delivery guy slammed dinner down. If it wasnt for the 3 meat bonanza the ballet instructor had to have it might have held. And it failed at the anchor of the 2x6 first causing a chain reaction and alot of shook up beer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not clear what you are exactly trying to test here? Is it the strength of the joist or the X-bridging?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
700 lbs.

And I have no idea the cause of failure, but you should probably refer to it as the point of failure, the weakest link. The cause is, of course the excess weight.

edit: How did you add weight?
Centered 2 ten pound plates over the center joist, then started adding 50s.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Why not repeat the setup without the bridging? I am guessing thats where this is headed. Quick somebody alert the engineers that they are about to be proven WRONG!!!!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not clear what you are exactly trying to test here? Is it the strength of the joist or the X-bridging?
The ability to transfer and share load over the whole assembly using wood bridging.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
If you had something tying the horses together it would have held more weight.

I think

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not repeat the setup without the bridging? I am guessing thats where this is headed. Quick somebody alert the engineers that they are about to be proven WRONG!!!!
This is pretty much what it would look like minus the box across the end joists:eek:

Attachments

Reactions: Gus Dering

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you had something tying the horses together it would have held more weight.

I think
That is what I thought would start the failure, it is not the case.:no:

1 - 20 of 339 Posts