Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the tried and true sending the new guy to find the board stretcher, or sending him for a pint of blinker fluid for your truck, what other fun (but harmless) activities have you guys been a party to.
I am a pretty new member of this forum and am thoroughly enjoying the community.
This ought be be good for a few laughs, especially from some of the senior posters who have been around the block and are aware that this business needs to be fun too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I came across a wood screw that didn't have the hex head ground into it, it just had a smooth round head. I saved it and asked the new guy to grab me 12 more of them out of the truck, and to HURRY! He spent 20 minutes looking for it, kept bringing me all kinds of 5/16 and 3/8 screws, all the while I'm acting more and more angry.

Let it go to the end of the day before telling him the truth. Surprisingly, he was kinda pissed!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thought of another one... Was having trouble finding studs in EFIS, they weren't on 16" centers, and told the noobie to get out the geiger meter...

told him later geiger meter's count radiation good, but they don't find studs.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I got a nut that has no threads in it :blink:

Every now and again, I'll hand it to a helper and send him to go get me some more.

They ALWAYS bring my threadless nut back :laughing:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ok this one can get you fired and fined so do not attempt this trick at home kids. I know two old buddy friends of mine that took a newbie up in the lift and had him tie off his harness to the z bar purlin at the roof for "safety procedures". Soon as he did that they started dropping the lift and left him up there hanging for at least 20 minutes...

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Ok this one can get you fired and fined so do not attempt this trick at home kids. I know two old buddy friends of mine that took a newbie up in the lift and had him tie off his harness to the z bar purlin at the roof for "safety procedures". Soon as he did that they started dropping the lift and left him up there hanging for at least 20 minutes...

That one is VERY dangerous.

A man "hanging" only has so much time before bad things start to happen with his blood supply ~ and the areas where it has been cut off from.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
On the submarine we allways used to send noobs looking for the "main seawater expansion tank"

I used to have some bolts where the threaded part of the bolt was on the side instead of the middle. Never thought of sending anyone for more but I would tell people they were for when you drilled too close to an edge. Kind of wonder how they were mfr though.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
There was a place across the street with a sign that said "Nails", as in finger nails. We told him to walk over there and ask if they had any 16 penny nails. He actually did it, came back and said "no that's for finger nails" ahh dang!

·
Registered
55 Posts
When snapping lines.... fill up the chalk line.... you take the loose end and go out 20' or so and tell him to pull the line very tight to "load the line with chalk"..... let go of the line and the new guy will have a nice new design on his tee shirt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happend on a job site I was working. A steamfitter, with a brand new helper had just finished up for the week and to give us all a laugh, he sent his helper down to the plumbing supply house for a bucket of steam to test the lines. The kid even took a bucket from the job site so he would have one. When he came back his face was so red that we thought he was going to walk off the job. He stayed.We had a good laugh at that one.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Take a 5 gallon bucket with a 7'-8' chord ran through holes in the bottom female end one side male the other aprox same length on both sides.

Fill full of concrete push 4 (or dif #) of old useless 18v batteries into the concrete flush with the top of the bucket.

Write "portable power" on the side and have him carry it from point a to b all day long.( a neighbor of mine used a variation with a working 2 gang box instead of batteries):thumbsup:

Plug it in to "charge" from time to time or use(if he doesn't see the end plugged in) to through suspicion off!:laughing:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Send him to go get you a dick 4 from the shed. Soon he will return and ask whats a dick for.......:thumbup:
People have tried that one on me, I caught on to it. You need to kind of slur it though so they don't catch it, like 'dickfur'. And only do it when you're high up on a scaffold or something and when he's down on the ground, that way he'll yell it back really loud.

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
"Go get the block stretcher"

The smart ones :rolleyes: will look for a bit and finally ask "what's it look like?"

The reply..."it's about yeh long and has a bluish pearl handle, you can't miss it"

The longer they look the harder it is to keep from laughing.

·
ampman
783 Posts
we have put penatrox under ladders,on drills or whatever and the tell helper to grab said item that sh!t is worse than grease

1 - 20 of 22 Posts