Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be cool if we could have a thread to post photos of projects that took some interesting prep work before you could start painting.

So if you got'em post'em! :thumbup:

Here's a lanai I just started on the back of the home that we're doing all of the exterior painting at. It's a combination cedar siding, ceder soffits and stucco. Spraying just makes sense to me on this one since were doing 3 coats (one coat of tinted multi-surface conditioner primer and two coats of 100% acrylic satin paint).

Vents to get air moving in the plastic bubble to help dry the paint.

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes spraying is a waste of time unless you're a slow painter.
:laughing:
Those who know the least prove it the loudest. :rolleyes:

Two painters
Prep (including sprayer set up)- 1.5 hours
3 coats primer and paint (10 minutes per coat)- 30 minutes
Clean up (including sprayer break breakdown)- 20 minutes
Total hours- 2 hours 20 minutes

While the paint was drying between coats were able to work on other areas of the home.

Avenge, I contend that you and another painter couldn't have even got the first coat of primer on in that amount of time. Let alone two more coats. :laughing:

PS. Don't knock it till you own an airless sprayer and know how to use it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
:laughing:
Those who know the least prove it the loudest. :rolleyes:

Two painters
Prep (including sprayer set up)- 1.5 hours
3 coats primer and paint (10 minutes per coat)- 30 minutes
Clean up (including sprayer break breakdown)- 20 minutes
Total hours- 2 hours 20 minutes

While the paint was drying between coats were able to work on other areas of the home.

Avenge, I contend that you and another painter couldn't have even got the first coat of primer on in that amount of time. Let alone two more coats. :laughing:

PS. Don't knock it till you own an airless sprayer and know how to use it. :thumbsup:
I wasn't implying that your particular job was a waste of time being sprayed. I just run into so many instances where I can brush and roll it faster. I do own a sprayer and know how to use it, doesn't take much talent to use one.

I've been painting for 39 years and I've NEVER had anyone beat me in speed accuracy and neatness. You don't think I can paint the body 3 times in 4hrs-40 minutes by myself?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I wasn't implying that your particular job was a waste of time being sprayed. I just run into so many instances where I can brush and roll it faster. I do own a sprayer and know how to use it, doesn't take much talent to use one.

I've been painting for 39 years and I've NEVER had anyone beat me in speed accuracy and neatness. You don't think I can paint the body 3 times in 4hrs-40 minutes by myself?
Ok, now you are being really dumb.

Do you HONESTLY think anyone is going to believe that you can brush & roll faster than spray?

I lol'ed

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Ok, now you are being really dumb.

Do you HONESTLY think anyone is going to believe that you can brush & roll faster than spray?

I lol'ed

I just knew someone would come and post that. No you can't brush & roll faster than you can spray. I'm talking about equipment setup, cleanup and prep for spraying. That's not factoring in the cost of equipment usage, sprayer, tip, paper, plastic, paper. If it only took them 10 minutes per coat to spray I certainly can't brush and roll it in 10 minutes.

But I'm pretty sure based on those pics I can brush and roll 3 coats on the body and ceiling in close to the same amount of time. And what did they do with the rig between primer and paint?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Keep talking...

The TIME SAVED pays for the very things you just mentioned.

You really want to break it down?

Tip last over 100 gal (we will use that as a conservative #) @$25 = $2.50/gallon. Even though we all know they last longer.

Plastic & tape... Lets be generous & budget $50

Loading/purging sprayer 15 min @ $50/hr

Cleanup the same (pulling plastic/clean sprayer/load into van)

So...max you spent $100 to spray.

Now, lets check your brush setup:

Brush: $15
Roller cover: $5
Reusable drop cloth: meh $1
Roller pan/ liners: $0.50

Cleanup time: toss roller sleeve & brush, fold tarp so lets be lazy & call 15 minutes

$25 sundries + $13 time $38 bucks

100 - 38 = $62

@ $50/hr thats 1.24 hrs

So do you spend 1 1/2 hrs pay to save multiple hours work?

Nah, artists dont need to make $$

38 years, & still not a businessman. It took me a whole year to figure that math out. Some take longer....

Please dont dis those who have figured out this simple formula.

If you dont want to recognize the profit potential of using power tools, refrain from posting in threads about it. Instead, stick to the hand tool threads.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
You seem to want to argue for no apparent reason, I already said I didn't mean to imply his particular project was a waste of time being sprayed. I never said I can do it faster only that I can brush and roll it in CLOSE to the same amount of time. The only money spent for 2 rollers. Ya I may work hard doing it.

I also never said profit couldn't be made by spraying. I hate masking and I hate cleanup. I'm also not fond of being in a spray booth and wearing a mask. When you've been doing this as long as I have you'll find yourself just not wanting to do certain things anymore even if it costs a little time. I've been in business 25 years and one thing I've learned it isn't ALWAYS about profit and production.

And I don't us pans and liners and I don't toss brushes. I also have plenty of other power tools I make a lot more profit with and without the hassle.

So go ahead and argue and get back to me when you're older.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did some experimenting with different kinds of tape and methods of taping on this set of cabs. It's a European set with a lot of glass and I only had to do the outside of the doors so it didn't really make sense to take them apart.

In comparing frog tape with 3m delicate, I found that the frog tape came off the glass cleaner, but was harder to remove. The 3m left a little bit of residue but came off easier.
Some of the glass I used paper with tape just around the edges and some I used just tape. The doors with the paper came off easier. Both the 3m and frog tape left perfect lines.

I love peeling the tape, its like opening a Christmas present!

My first attempt at posting pics with this app, hope they load right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did some experimenting with different kinds of tape and methods of taping on this set of cabs. It's a European set with a lot of glass and I only had to do the outside of the doors so it didn't really make sense to take them apart.

In comparing frog tape with 3m delicate, I found that the frog tape came off the glass cleaner, but was harder to remove. The 3m left a little bit of residue but came off easier.
Some of the glass I used paper with tape just around the edges and some I used just tape. The doors with the paper came off easier. Both the 3m and frog tape left perfect lines.

I love peeling the tape, its like opening a Christmas present!

My first attempt at posting pics with this app, hope they load right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice work Josh! :thumbup:
Perfect lines for sure! :clap:

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job Paul. What brand paint did you use for the primer?

Sometimes masking and plastic is worth it ! Reminds me I'm running low on plastic and tape too.
Thank you. :thumbsup:
For the primer I used a multi-surface conditioner called Rich Flex by Richards Paint. And for the Paint I used Richards Signature Series Satin. This whole job was spec'd out and inspected by the Richards Rep for a manufacturer's 7 year product and labor warranty. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Same exterior painting project.
Thursday and Friday we painted the west end of the house that had several rusted electrical boxes and nail heads in the cedar siding.

After we treated the rust, I used the airless to spray all of the boxes, pipes, conduit, siding, soffits, gutter, drip edge, downspouts and stucco.

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like a great paint job. But jeesus, who was picking colors? Both old and new are tough to take.
Thanks MW. :thumbsup:
I gotta say though, the new colors look amazing in person! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts