Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were some fun jobs you had in the past?

I was thinking about a job we did quite a while ago, before I started out on my own. There is a theater in town where they have plays and for a few years we built the sets. I have never used my creativity like I did there, some of the little things that needed to happen took so much thought so that the actors could activate whatever little thing (window, door, flower, etc) without much trouble but at the end of the day we needed to be able to pull it apart and put in the store room possibly to never be used again.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Working for strippers. They hate wearing clothes at home. And always pay.

This about jobs. Ok. Get my mind out of the gutter.

Built a stage in a persons house complete with mirrors and pole. Of course the customer had to make sure it would work for the intended job.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Anything with BIG equipment....D-9/10, 988's...:thumbsup:

or anything unusual or challenging work environment.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I have a strange fixation with Walmart drop ceilings.

I love working on 20,000 Sq. Ft. drop ceilings in the big box stores and I look for an opportunity to do one every time a new retailer comes to town.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a strange fixation with Walmart drop ceilings.

I love working on 20,000 Sq. Ft. drop ceilings in the big box stores and I look for an opportunity to do one every time a new retailer comes to town.
You can keep those jobs!

I enjoy boardrooms, exotic home theatres and video walls.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Video walls and theaters are cool.. but I have more fun sitting down and watching it after its done. Last week I was ashamed of the fact that I spent 3 hours in the HO's house watching his TV before doing any actual work.
:whistling

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
This was a really low budget, fast and easy buy unique job.

JVC projector, 2 TV's, existing speakers, receiver. Client wanted to watch 3 sporting events, switch all 3 to the same, switch all 3 to different channels, change channels on individual tv's, switch audio to correspond with selected video device.

I built a custom remote on a Nexus 7 using an RTI XP3 and an hdmi matrix switch. Took more time to type the logic statements in the remote software than it did to install the equipment.

Display device Technology Display case Room Electronic device

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My most fun jobs are the ones I don't get paid for.

No kidding, doesn't matter if it's replumbing the DWV system for my daughter or foundation/framing/finishing my son's 1800 addition.... or even all the crap inspection report fixes for my wife's RE sale of old (85 year old) friends.

Something just makes it more fun...;) (Maybe because it is really really appreciated)

·
More than pushing brooms!
79 Posts
We sweep streets, highways, parking lots and more. While most people would not think of sweeping as fun, we have swept up some pretty cool sites. The photo below is from a special event in 2013 that we had the privilege of sweeping 'Color Me Rad'.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most fun I had was working for contractor right out of high school . We built a lake house out of rastra material. A cement foam mixed forms that got glued and placed together like Lego blocks then rebar and poured. My dad did heating plumb electrical work. So I did allittle of everything. From cutting window and doors out with electric chainsaws. To cutting channel for wires in wall with chainsaw. To laying geo therm radiant heat lines in floor. Used water level to get steel in place for steel floor joist. Layed a ton of detailed tile. It was awesome and great experience for me right out of school. Plus the guy I worked for always bought drinks at bar after work. I hardly needed to use my fake Id. He some how always got them to hand me a beer no ?s asked. Those were the days.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What were some fun jobs you had in the past?

I was thinking about a job we did quite a while ago, before I started out on my own. There is a theater in town where they have plays and for a few years we built the sets. I have never used my creativity like I did there, some of the little things that needed to happen took so much thought so that the actors could activate whatever little thing (window, door, flower, etc) without much trouble but at the end of the day we needed to be able to pull it apart and put in the store room possibly to never be used again.
If you really like building sets and like to get paid well , then come to NYC and work in the theater district . A buddy of mine gets paid over $600,000 for his creativity . Imagine getting paid that kind of money and they're thinking about going on strike .They have an extremely strong union going back to the early 1900's and the only way in is if your related .

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Pictures?
Ugh, no!

I used to be so bad about never taking pictures.

Basically, I was out of work for a couple weeks about 3 springs ago or something. A friend of mine called me and said he was having trouble building a mini golf hole for his girlfriend's art installation downtown. They got 18 local artists to design a hole each and this condo building gave out their parking lot to host and bought all the materials.
I grabbed my tools and ran down the street. Couldn't get there fast enough. It was hilarious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts