Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance, but reading another thread and guys talking about how great these are and I was wondering- what do you do with them exactly?

You guys were saying how great they could spray. I youtube'd Fuji 400 and saw a guy spraying some doors outside (leaning against the wall of the house) and it sure was fast! One thing I was shocked at was how close he was spraying next to other trim and windows. He said it was very accurate and didn't throw off much overspray. I could see that being useful.

What else would you use it for? Spraying walls? Trim? I've always made my self scarce while the painters are doing their thing so I've never seen it in action. I assumed if you went to spray inside you'd have to tape and mask like crazy and it wouldn't be that worth it timewise.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
HVLP's are nice because they are easy to set up, relatively quick cleanup (except with a pressure pot), and low overspray. Turbine units don't need air compressors.

The PPS system is really just a cup system that uses disposable liners. The benefit of that is that it makes cleanup easier, and you are able to spray upside down, as the liner collapses as air is pushed behind it.

HVLP's are great for cabinets and trim. They aren't as fast as airless or air assist airless, but not being a professional full time painter, I find the HVLP easier to control.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
HVLP does create much less overspray, and it's much less likely to be carried by the wind. If you're doing more than a touchup or two inside, you need to mask just as if you were using airless.

The turbine systems are more portable than the compressor-driven ones; a compressor-driven HVLP needs a bigger compressor, relative to the size of a turbine. You can paint a bunch of doors with a job-site compressor and a touch-up HVLP gun, or you can go whoosh with a turbine gun in 1/2 the time. With a shop-sized compressor, the compressor-driven HVLP is great.

One reason the turbine systems have been successful is that the gun and tips are high quality; we have the Fuji, and because it's a system, we have no choice but to spend the money on the quality gun. If you're buying a compressor-driven HVLP gun, spend the money on a professional gun.

HVLP is a bit surprising the first time you use it. It seems as if you've turned on a garden hose. Get used to putting on a full, wet, coat.

We spray all trim, cabinetry, and furniture finishes - water-based, solvent (rarely here in CA), conversion varnish and other catalyzed finishes, etc. - with our Fuji. It's not really meant for walls and ceilings, though, where airless or a roller are usually the right tools.

That's my experience, anyway.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
HVLP's are nice because they are easy to set up, relatively quick cleanup (except with a pressure pot), and low overspray. Turbine units don't need air compressors.
If you're using a pressure pot, get one large enough to place a 1 gallon pail in it. When you're done spraying, remove the product, place a pail with some water (or correct solvent) in the pot, pressurize the pot, pull the trigger on the gun. You don't need to turn the turbine on, just need to push flushing fluid through the hose and gun.

Tom

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
This is a great thread. I gots lots of trim to stain this winter for my house and its looks like I get to buy another cool tool.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Gary,

I don't know where Munger Mi. is, your welcome stop by and try my Fugi with various products and set ups to make sure its a good fit for your needs.

Tom

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I know my videos are not that good. You get what I shoot only edits are when they're to long.

Thanks for the complement.

Tom

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
tjbnwi said:
Gary,

I don't know where Munger Mi. is, your welcome stop by and try my Fugi with various products and set ups to make sure its a good fit for your needs.

Tom
That would be great Tom. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts