Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
got enough hockey puck locks on it, huh?

--only thing I don't like about that style of work truck is that after some years of use, the hinges start leaking rust streaks onto the white paint. You would think the manufacturer would use stainless hardware:rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
got enough hockey puck locks on it, huh?
"These go to eleven"

I installed those the day after I bought it. :thumbsup:

--only thing I don't like about that style of work truck is that after some years of use, the hinges start leaking rust streaks onto the white paint. You would think the manufacturer would use stainless hardware:rolleyes:
As far as the rear hinges, the hardware is stainless...but the hinges themselves are galvanized STEEL (for strength, I'm sure), which do rust. I've re painted the bottom two, and will do the other 4 next week.

The rest of the hinges on the exterior of the box are aluminum. :thumbsup:

I agree- Spartan could definitely find a better way to make paint STICK to their hinges. That being said, I'd still take this type of truck over crawling around the inside of a cargo van, or having your equipment sitting inside an open pickup truck bed (I've done both for many years)...despite it's rusty hinge problem. :D

I came very close to buying an enclosed utlity trailer instead of this. After hearing a local contractor tell me how his got stolen with all his tools inside (NO insurance, either!), I am glad I didn't. Don't get me wrong- I'm sure trailers have their advantages...but they certainly have their disadvantages as well...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Mr Bob Lanscaping will love this van to death... please save & wait for him until he graduated from Electrical & HVAC school... He definitely will buy it.

Very sturdy, heavy duty, and cheap truck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bump!

Please see first post for updated pics and PRICE.

• 189,834mls
  • 6.0L gas engine
  • Runs PERFECT! NO issues.
  • Clean title in hand.
  • NJ Inspection good until 7/10
  • 12ft x 8ft box, int height= 6-1
  • GVWR:12,000lbs
  • Have all locks/keys for the exterior locksets.

New this year:

1. OEM rotors
  2. Alignment (performed at Budmans in Trenton)
  3. Tire (1)
  4. O2 sensors (2)
New last Fall:

1. Custom, flush-mounted trailer HITCH (done at Pete's Welding in Trenton) Cost= over $800, including brake controller, etc
  2. Bosch wiper blades

The bad:

1. Passenger side horizontal box door has been broken into when the previous owner had the truck (pic is in link in first post). I priced a NEW door from Spartan for $475. (but haven't checked any salvage yards, which would be cheaper!)
  2. Also on passenger side: truck appears to have hit a curb or something (previous owner) and has pushed in the bottom of the box (can be pulled out I am sure). (pic is in link in first post).
  3. rear door hinges could use some re-painting as they are rusting (bottom 2 are repainted already)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah that goes without saying. How about the underside of it? I know you guys have more snow and salt out there then we do here in Pa. And just what part of Jersey are you from?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Truck is in Allentown, NJ (not PA!). Exit 7-A off the NJ Turnpike...couple miles south of Rt 195.

Underside is pretty decent- I can take some pics tomorrow if you'd like, just let me know.

I've been here in Central NJ for the past 2 winters now, and so far we've gotten ONE "significant" snow storm (last early Feb) since I've been here. It was 4-5in or so, and was all pretty much gone by the next day...

(I'm originally from Dutchess County NY, so the lack of snow being just 2hrs south was a welcome relief, IMO) :D

The truck is SUPER clean, and runs perfect. The price for this truck should be quite attractive, too. I've been parking it out by the road here in Allentown (NJ) the past 2 days, and has received a lot of attention on this rarely driven, horse farm road...so we'll see what happens the next few days. I don't expect it to last more than another week though before it's sold now...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah if you could take some pics of the underside that would be great! I am very very interested but the amount of snow/salt you guys have there compared to here in pa does concern me a little. Right now i have a smaller work truck with a cap on it. It has side boxes and a rack on it but i just dont have enough room. I was thinking about an enclosed trailer but im worried about someone breaking into it and stealing everything. Plus i do some service calls and stuff so a trailer wouldnt really be economical for that. But this truck would be!! Post those pics and ill certainly be in touch, thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, I should be able to take a few tomorrow for ya. I'm sure it's not like a 2010, $30k truck underneath...but I'm also sure it's not like a truck that's seen 7 "Buffalo NY" winters, either. :laughing:

I came very close to getting an enclosed trailer before buying this truck, but I am glad I didn't go that route for several reasons. Nothing against the trailer guys...I know each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. :thumbsup:

I met a contractor last Spring who had a big enclosed trailer all set up REALLY nice (he installed some sod at my ex GF's backyard). It was obvious that he was REALLY concerned about security, too. I realized this when I saw him put the "BOOT" on the trailer in broad daylight...lol. Turns out his previous trailer was STOLEN a year ago, along with everytthing in it. About a $20k hit he said, and he had NO INSURANCE on it! :blink:

I'm sold on the cube van thing now for sure, and can't wait to get my other one all finished (another week or so). They're a LOT easier to back into some jobsites...and less money going through them TOLL booth$, too...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clicked on your profile, but don't see any way to send you a PM...?? :party:

So if you're still interested, shoot me an email and I will send you back 8 under carriage pics-

FarViewContractingATgmailDOTcom

Thanks-
Rog

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Would truly like to sell by this Thur, before I head up to NY for a few weeks.

FINAL PRICE: $4,950

Call cell if serious. Truck is VERY dependable and CLEAN!! Don't let the highish miles scare you...this is the ONE you've been waiting for. A HUGE upgrade from a regular cargo van!!

609 216 3929

Thanks-
Rog

----

Pic of the custom ramp I made that goes with it:

Red padding on top of door opening (and it WORKS great!):

1 - 16 of 16 Posts