Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been setting tile and other hard surfaces for about 20 years. I work for my wife's family store. I recently took on a job for my mother inlaw . Let me start by saying that this house has angles that are mind boggling and it's a it's a complete rap around from entry,living room,kitchen,hall,back to entry. The floor has major cracks with elevation drops of 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch. The tile she picked is a 12"by 24" & 6" by 24" wood plank with a stagerd pattern.after much grinding and leveling and tile set. She does the barefoot test and is not happy. I'm not going to say the floor was free of lipage but it was minor.now I'm faced with replacing some tiles that I know will start a ripple affect to change one u have to change every one around it. This job has me questioning my ability as a tile setter.any words of wisdom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just keep plugging away. Some days are better than others and I have been in that position myself. Who knows you might be able to pull the tiles and be done with it faster than you think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I guess all n all the best thing is just to laugh it off. Sure glad I'm on salary. The last time I worked on her house I had to mix 2 different colors of grout to get what she wanted

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you are on salary and have access to all the mix you need - MIX it up and flatten that floor. It is a frustrating situation - don't get me wrong - I have a few past clients that I get a facial tic if their name is mentioned.

Imagine IF you were doing this with NO pay and NO material funds.

Keep slugging away, it will be over soon enough!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put down 25 bags of level quick and that was like pulling teeth. Today she has a problem with a tile she can't find now so I'm laughing about it all now.thanks for all the input this is a great forum to vent this kind of stuff

·
Banned
5 Posts
Yes, NEVER mix business with family and friends. It might sound like a good idea, and you sound like a good guy, but it almost never works out. Someone get's the short end of the stick at some point.

Anyways, just take it step by step, problem by problem. If you continue to focus on the "bigger picture," the project will seem impossible and you'll start tearing your hair out. Just my perspective, tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts