Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The temps are in the single digits and my vent stack is frozen to the point that when the toilet is flushed it gurgles the tub drain and empties the trap.

Anyone in here know how this can happen and how to correct for future. BTW the vent pipe goes up an outside wall to the roof.

Also anyone have hint as to what could be a quick fix??

Thanks,

Les

·
Registered
534 Posts
Had this happen on a house I used to live in. Went up on the roof and broke the thin layer of ice out of the vent stack where it came out of the roof. It was frozen right at the snow line, about two feet above the roof. I used a broom and stuck it down the vent pipe. It happened twice in the five years I lived in the house. Not sure why it happened. I don't know if you were to glue a 90 degree elbow on the top if it would help or not. good luck.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the possible fix. Not sure I am in the mood to climb up on my snow covered roof. :eek: Although that might be the on solution.

The snow that we got is only about 7" and the stack is about 12". But I can see a bit of snow on the top of the pipe.

How thick was the "thin layer" you experienced??

Thanks,

Les

·
Registered
534 Posts
It was maybe a heavy 1/8 inch. Enough to stop air coming down the stack apparently. What made me notice was the smell in the house. Once the vent was blocked, it would just suck air down the nearest trap, which sucks the water out as well. That why you are getting the gurgling. Once it sucks the water out of the p trap, you will get sewer gases into the house. Very unhealthy.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting!!!

Then a well aimed garden hose with hot water could melt the ice dam. Certainly can't make it any worse.

New flushing procedure in the house.

Flush, wait till final gurgle, open faucet in tub for 10 seconds, close, and go on with life.:blink:

I really hate the winter. :censored: :censored:

Les

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its called "frost-over" here. Code requires at least on of the vents thru the roof be at least 3" diameter to help combat this. I have seen it happen to 3" pipe but not very often. Check yer size

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its called "frost-over" here. Code requires at least on of the vents thru the roof be at least 3" diameter to help combat this. I have seen it happen to 3" pipe but not very often. Check yer size
The size is 1-1/2". House is 35 years old or so. Would it make a difference to place a 3" to 1-1/2" reducer on top for future on would it just compound or amplify the issue??

The other option would be to place 2 ea. 90's on top to get the opening down. But based on your thought of "frost over" I am wondering if that would make a difference.

Current weather is to be below freezing for the next 2 weeks at least.

As for my hot garden hose thought................. well was just a thought until after I looked at the frozen garden hose and trying to determine how long it was going to take to thawl it out. :rolleyes:

Les

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Here all they want is 3" through the roof. I couldn't believe that when the bi told me that. It was on a remodel and it had a 2" and he told me to go in the attic and cut it and put 3" through the roof

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 1 1/2" vent should be cut back at least 12" below the roof deck and then reducer then go at least 18" above the roof with 3" (Section 904 in the IPC). The 2 90's wont work and will actually frost over faster

·
Registered
16 Posts
The NYS Plumbing code book calls for all vents that go outside the roof be 3" but here in WNY we see a lot of smaller vents thru roofs as long as the stack vent is 3".

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
We re-roofed a house once, I noticed the vent pipes all had a yellow plug in them ,apparently from when the plumber did a pressure test? I went ahead and took them out, always wondered if they noticed a difference.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Gene S. said:
The NYS Plumbing code book calls for all vents that go outside the roof be 3" but here in WNY we see a lot of smaller vents thru roofs as long as the stack vent is 3".
Are you licensed in Rochester by any chance?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We re-roofed a house once, I noticed the vent pipes all had a yellow plug in them ,apparently from when the plumber did a pressure test? I went ahead and took them out, always wondered if they noticed a difference.
LOL My guess is that they noticed but did not have a clue why.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 1 1/2" vent should be cut back at least 12" below the roof deck and then reducer then go at least 18" above the roof with 3" (Section 904 in the IPC). The 2 90's wont work and will actually frost over faster

I have lived in this house since new. Never had this happen before. Now that it has and I know the cause and the temp fix not sure I will be making any serious changes anytime soon.

I do have a quick solution but won't mention it here since it will violate every plumbing code this side of the Mississippi and beyond. :whistling

Les

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do have a quick solution but won't mention it here since it will violate every plumbing code this side of the
Mississippi and beyond. :whistling

Les
That smells kinda fishy

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Gene S. said:
All my licenses are in Buffalo and the surrounding areas. Not Rochester but Rochester falls under the same NYS plumbing code which is based on the IPC.
I was just wondering, I'm from auburn and they will accept Rochester licenses.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts