Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left a fresh bucket of mud in my storage and it more than likely has frozen :( Is it still good to use? After it thaws of course

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I never used thawed mud before. I know it says not to let the mud freeze.
You could test a little out to see if it is still good.
What is a box of mud 6-10 dollars if its a loss no big loss.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Old spoiled mud that stinks is way worse than fozen mud. I've used both before - yes, call me a cheap bastard.

You should be fine with the frozen mud if you mix it up good with a drill and a mixing paddle. You might be suprised how long it takes for the ice crystals in the middle of the pail to finally thaw. You may also be able to tell some differences in the perfomance of the mud, in regard to being harder getting a smooth finish with your drywall knives. I've used it before, but now I would just toss it, I learned the hard way it isn't worth it. I would also rather buy a full sheet of drywall instead of patching two left over pieces together if it means avoiding another tape and mud line. Drywall materials are so cheap, the labor is more expensive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try mixing some Dawn dish detergent to help make it silky. Just dont go high speed with our mixing.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bring it inside for a week before I use it. Mix it well and see how it goes. It isn't the cost I'm concerned with I just want to have it when I need it.
As for the Dawn dish detergent you mentioned Magnum, I think I've read that here before. How much do I add to a bucket? I would like to try this additive.
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
156 Posts
MinConst said:
I'll bring it inside for a week before I use it. Mix it well and see how it goes. It isn't the cost I'm concerned with I just want to have it when I need it.
As for the Dawn dish detergent you mentioned Magnum, I think I've read that here before. How much do I add to a bucket? I would like to try this additive.
Thanks for the help guys.
Try 5-6 oz. per 5gal. just experiment to see what ya like.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Throw that frozen mud away. Long time ago I worked for a real tight ass GC, he lost heat in his storage bldg over the holidays and we got a brutal cold snap during the same time. Ended up having nearly a whole skid of all purpose and lite mud freeze solid, the boxes of mud were harder than a concrete blocks! Boss refused to pitch it, even though USG rep stated that it should be. First thing I can tell you is the frozen solid boxes of mud took over a week to thaw enough to where they could be mixed. We eventually used it in a tract home when it finally all thawed out (IN March), the stuff never did mix well and had alot of problems getting it to flow properly through tools. Worse yet it cracked terribly on the surface as it dried, we ended up going back in to the unit where it was used and basically sanding it all off and redoing the entire house. Luckily I was an employee then, so I got paid for doing it, but the boss ate the bill. I've never even considered using any mud that has frozen since then, hell I don't even save partial buckets at the end of a job. If we've got a half bucket mixed up that's left over, we either pitch it in the dumpster or leave it for the homeowner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm with the wall doc on this one...frozen mud is bad news. My cheap old boss would always want us to use the crap after he neglected to pick up from from a job site like a garage untill it was a solid seperated mass. Then the genious would expect us to mix these blown up pails. :rolleyes: "Whats that smell, oh look my 200 dollar drill is smoking...just wait a minute and let it cool down"...the same idiot that bought paint roller covers and masking tape from the dollar store...what a dumbass. You may get away with first coating flats or a spray tex with it but its not worth the hassle for myself. ;)

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another day and sme new input. I appreciate it. I don't want or need to end up with a complaint or waited time. I'll pitch it and get fresh. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good call, for the record, since I was rather bored today watching the snow fly, did some searchin around USG's site. They recommend of course that premixed compound be protected from freezing, however should it happen according you should allow it to thaw at room temperature, do not add any water to it until it's mixed back to it's original consistency.

BTW kids, if you decide to try this, use that old drill for mixing it, be a shame to smoke the new 1/2" drill you just bought. :cheesygri

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
MinConst said:
Another day and sme new input. I appreciate it. I don't want or need to end up with a complaint or waited time. I'll pitch it and get fresh. Thanks guys.
MinConst,
Please remember this, and apply to ALL things that you do in this business.

"Nobody has ever !#%*ed a job up by doing it right."

Best of luck,

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
walldoc said:
Well said Mike! :Thumbs:
Thanks, I learned it the hard way. Usually when you try to save your customer some money by taking a short cut, you're not saving them anything at all. You're just messing up their job, and hurting your own reputation. When you do it right, you're doing them a BIG favor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts