Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering on what you all do to keep your air lines from freezing.

i have been taking the guns and hoses home, but the compressor is way to big and heating the trailer is out of the question.

antifreeze in the hoses works sometimes, but ruins the guns

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
just wondering on what you all do to keep your air lines from freezing.

i have been taking the guns and hoses home, but the compressor is way to big and heating the trailer is out of the question.

antifreeze in the hoses works sometimes, but ruins the guns
Here is what we do and did.
Buy air filter and lube regulator( cheap works as well as the expensive)
Then fill the lube side with tool air oil with antifreeze inthe product.

We have used this method for years with very little line freeze ups. Occasionally we get freeze up at the connectors, but no more frozen air lines. The water serperator keeps the water out of the lines, for the most part, and the tool oil keeps everything lubed up!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had a framing nailer freeze up once. The drain plugs on the compressor freeze occasionally.
I try to leave the compressor and nailers inside at night at the job if possible.

·
Registered
547 Posts
We were dealing with the cold this week also. We have our small compressor in the basement of the house with the hose coming out of a window,

I put on my carhart insulated suit, take the hose and run it up the pant leg, wrap it around my body a few times and send it out my sleeve with only a couple of feet looped to the gun seems to work ok
:laughing:

But really, used my new strap shot gun this week and it would not cycle properly. Either the cold or just getting used to the gun. So we set the gun inside for a while and reduced the amount of hose exposed outside to as little as needed.
Got it working properly and was very happy about it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
build a plywood or osb box put a small elec heater in there and keep it warm. A few drops of air tool lube in the male end will help.

Built one box next to the power pole and left it there all winter with the compressor inside. Drained it once a week and had to dig it out of four feet of snow in the spring to drag it back to the car when the job was done.

I laughed at one of my mentors when I was going through his tool box and found a pink hair dryer. the other co workers told me it was to dry off his back when it was all hot in summer. I razed him all day till he jumped on me and told me I'm not **** because any carpenter who works in the mountains needs a hairdryer and would know why. Well that winter I went out and bought my first hair dryer and people laugh at me when I pull it out of my tool box in the middle of winter. But then they see how it solves almost any problem.......

We have all kinds of problems @ 9000 ft.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
was talking about air dryers on another forum and apparently the farther away from the compresser the better they work

Just as onthe other forum, I call BS. Totally unecessary!:thumbsup: Works if it is attached or 100' away. In fact, the warmer the air the more water is compressed therefore I say just the opposite.:eek:

Don't like to fight over there!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
There is a air product called killfrost. Use that and keep the compressor warm overnight. How is heating the trailer out of the question? If you heat it all night you really wont need to heat it while it is running.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When we build new homes in the winter, we take half inch foam and make a box around the compressor which works great, and If we kept the hoses out of the snow they wouldnt freeze up on us.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a air product called killfrost. Use that and keep the compressor warm overnight. How is heating the trailer out of the question? If you heat it all night you really wont need to heat it while it is running.
well the trailer isnt mine. the general contractor has us use his compressor. theres only temp power on the jobsite with 2 breakers. i doubt the gen will pay the elect bill for heating his trailer.

thanks for all the ideas guys:thumbup:

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
All of our customers pay to heat our trailers, weather they be GC's or homeowners. Warm tools work better, if the GC wants you guys to work and get the job done then he should heat the trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts