Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets just start off by saying, I am not a landscaper, nor do I want to be. You guys have a talent that no electrician can match, however, I wanted to try and conquer something myself. Critique as necessary.

Before:

First step of this adventure is to relocate the existing precast stair to the side of the porch. I wanted to get rid of them, as I had the mindset that they were only purchased to get our CO. The wife (boss) on the other hand said we spent $700 bucks on em, and we need to find a place for them.

Ultimately, they will have a paver landing, but this works for now.

Next step was to build new stairs. I dug out 18" of material, and replaced it with 1 1/4" processed.

Next was the front walls. Again, dug out, added processed, installed wall. Kinda boring, I know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started the second half of the wall today.

I also installed some curb stone planters as well last year.

Cut both ends of the stone to make the radius.

Now all the grass has been removed and plantings and mulch installed, but no picture.

How am I doing so far?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The steps look a lot better and are a better fit in regards to concistancy of the steps. The top is a little shallow, but the steps themselves look good to me. The precast looked a little dangerous before you moved them with the high first step and loose gravel. Not my field either, but I am not sure the top step would be code compliant. Still alot better than the precast that steps were there.

All in all, I like what you are doing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks pretty good man. As far as walls and stairs are concerned, the most important thing is to have a solid base and level first course.

·
Landscaper
14 Posts
Whats in the steps I see in one of the pictures you are doing the first coarse how did you build it up from there?

thanks

·
Designer/Contractor
4,149 Posts
It looks nice but I wouldn't have the planter encroach into the stairs like it does on the one photo. If someone is walking down the stairs in that area they're going to have a strange step or actually no step where the top of the planter is running on top of the tread.

You can't be too careful with stairs, that's where 90% of accidents around the house occur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts