Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off tearing out a kitchen that was not bad at all. Decent cabinets, granite counters, junk flooring, tile over vinyl (thankyou diy'er). Everything was going smooth til the day i touched the DWV. It crumbled in my hands. chased it across the room in both directions hoping to find the end of the damage. Ended up replacing the whole thing. The designer came in when the trench was open, the look on her face was priceless. Got it closed up and back on track. Im on the last phase of the project after endless change orders. Not too many surprises after the dwv was fixed. electrician must have left his hot pot at home the day he wired the living room. luckily only found one splice done that way. Hand stacked roof.... Took out a couple walls, beefed up the perlin, new ducting, new boots and registers, skimmed the whole ceiling cuz it was chopped up so bad, even though I was able to sneak the lvl's through a vent. 4/3 ways at all exits. Nicest granite Ive seen in a long while. Only part of the job I didnt do was the granite.
Countertop Cabinetry Property Sink Kitchen
Wood Flooring Floor Building material Composite material
Countertop Cabinetry Furniture Home appliance Kitchen

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Assuming the first picture is what you started with, and the last picture is the finished product, I would have to say they did not improve.

Don’t get me wrong your work is very nice, I’m referring to the design and material choices.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Definitely somethings wrong with the tile not sure if it’s the picture or the grout!

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Definitely somethings wrong with the tile not sure if it’s the picture or the grout!
Real hard to tell from the pic, but aside from it just being fugly, I thought maybe it was that tile with a wavy surface. Forget what they call it.

Something off with the grout lines at any rate though. 🤔

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its supposed to look like antuiqed white brick. It ruins what otherwise is a great improvement. Cabinets are lightyears above what they had before. Granite is one of the nicest slabs ive seen. floor is lvt, not too special there. its not complete. Plenty left to do. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. Kitchen is twice the size it was before. 15k in appliances. not to mention I fixed their dwv thats been leaking since the 70's

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Might want to get a thicker skin.

I said my comment wasn’t about your workmanship, but the clients choices.

And yes it’s my opinion. I prefer tile over LVT. I thought the original granite looked good.

One of the nice things about a large public forum is a wide variety of opinions.

And while I generally agree with the old adage about opinions, in my specific situation it doesn’t hold true. My ******* doesn’t stink, I wash it twice a day. 👍

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who said you got under my skin? or did you take offense to an old addage? Its not about what I want, Its about what the client wants, Im sure you follow that rule. I put the ele pic in for you, I take offense you had no remark for that

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tile costs more. As much as I prefer tile, it always concerns me when I put in vast amounts of tile in a home with poeple getting up in years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive been doing it all wrong. I can do the granite if I can get away with just overlaping the butt joints instead of seaming it. Ive got old extension cords I can use to run wire to the uc lights and dwr and cooler. Ill have to pick up 18g if I want to do it like they did. and 12v connectors to hook them up. I should have left the 2 layers of vinyl down and just laid the floor right over it. float it first of course... wasted my money on asbestos testing too, damn it! should have turned the other cheek when i noticed failing plumbing. What smell? I mop my floors twice a day. My floors dont stink. wood mode cabinets are mediocre i guess? all the things a picture doesnt tell.... All ruined by a god awful backsplash tile

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Tile is nice but almost all of it looks dated in 5 years. $20/sq ft for something that quickly goes out of style is tough to swallow.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,148 Posts
There's a woman 1 town over that never lets her kitchen get 5 years old, sometimes not 2.

I judge work based on workmanship.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't mind the cabinets or counters - I'm not a kitchen guy - I really don't like the backsplash. But if it's what the customer wants it's what they want.

The workmanship looks good.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Settle down, Hoss.

All I did was agree with you. 🙄

You said the original wasn’t bad, and you didn’t like the new backsplash.

I agree

And I think your workmanship was great.

Not used to such sensitive feewings on a job site or a contractors forum. 🙄🙄

PhukOhDear.

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
I would have made the island bigger.

I ain't throwing any disparaging remarks at any kitchen.

Mine is a 1930's disaster. And not in a cool art deco funky color and feel kind of way. More of a, it needs completely redone and one side of the cabinets don't match the other and somewhere down the line all the cabinet doors were removed kind of way, but not before the cabinets were laminated with bright orange formula kind of way, that now has been peeled of kinda way.

I have finally out new sheetrock on the ceiling though, which replaced the motor home frp.

So, no judgment here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
I would have made the island bigger.

I ain't throwing any disparaging remarks at any kitchen.

Mine is a 1930's disaster. And not in a cool art deco funky color and feel kind of way. More of a, it needs completely redone and one side of the cabinets don't match the other and somewhere down the line all the cabinet doors were removed kind of way, but not before the cabinets were laminated with bright orange formula kind of way, that now has been peeled of kinda way.

I have finally out new sheetrock on the ceiling though, which replaced the motor home frp.

So, no judgment here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but your backsplash must look a touch better. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts