Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone been getting texts from these guys. They sent me a text this morning about a lead and so far my phone has been blowing up with requests for work. They want me to pay. $5 and 5% of the labor total if I get the job. Problem is you have to give an estimate without even seeing the job.

They don't supply customer names and numbers until you pay the fees either. Should I steer clear of these guys as I have heard other company's who do a similar thing are just sending the same details to 100's of other contractors and the leads never go anywhere.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just another scam to seperate you from your money.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Yeah, I have been getting them lately. For roofing. I'm not even a roofing contractor. Not sure where they got my number unless they scour the states contractor listings.

I've gotten three texts over the last week or so. I was going to ask the same question on here.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had about 6 today alone. I would pay the 5% and $5 if they were good leads but if they are blowing my phone up like this then I'm sure they are doing the same to hundreds of others.

Here's some examples. Not sure how they expect you to estimate with these kind if details. There's not even pictures.

"bathroom remodel. want to gut my bathroom and install new tub, toilet and sink, new tile on walls and floor"

"Cape Cod style house:(add a room and bathroom to second floor),
First floor: add room to back of house, rearrange kitchen, move bathroom, knock down walls, install floors, add mudroom"

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Mine just say "Need roof quote, call, look at pictures at.....

Do I need to hit the link to get the info?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Should I steer clear of these guys as I have heard other company's who do a similar thing are just sending the same details to 100's of other contractors and the leads never go anywhere.
You know the cliché.. "When contractors compete, you win!"

How and where they are going about getting the leads in the first place is my bigger concern. Not every lead generation company qualifies their leads. I can generate 1000 leads a day just making a poster and a box of entry blanks asking "Who would like to enter a drawing to win a free deck or fence?" and then on the form ask "What other work would you like to have done in your home for free?"

Then the contractor shows up wondering why the HO thought they could get something for nothing.

·
building Contractor
235 Posts
I messaged them back after getting bombarded with projects, told them that there is no way that there is 6 homeowners in my little 500 person town looking for a bathroom remodel and kitchen. Now i still get an occasional email. But not like that first day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I signed up a couple of months ago. Paid $20 for credit for four leads. So far they sacked me for two of the four.

It seem like a bunch of tire kickers. The one lead I accepted was a decent "small" job. Went to the customers' home, looked at his project, and gave him a firm estimate. A few days later he contacted me and stated he wanted to proceed. I told him that I would draft a contract. We scheduled a meeting. The day before the meeting he postponed. The day before the second meeting he postponed, again. At that point I cancelled.

The second job was a small roof leak & drywall repair. Customer accepted my bid, Friend Trusted took my $5, the customer would not return my calls or emails.

I have filtered the leads and still get them every so often. I think that I give fair pricing on the system. I think that the people that use a system like that have no clue what it actually cost to do a job.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I been speaking to a few local guys who used it for a little bit. They said nearly all the bids were for Realtor's who wanted an estimate on what it would cost to fix something. This rang alarm bells as i have heard on here about Realtor's doing that just so they can get an idea for the buyer of how much they need to knock off the house price. Also seems that's why they want to confirm you do free estimates. Whats funny though is about 4hrs after that i get a free credit offer to get the details of a customer. It said that they would prefer i contact by email but i done a check on the guys name it found his number. Sure enough he was a Realtor in this area.

I have completely pulled out of their notifications now as it seems like most of them are tire kickers or realtor's.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
That is one reason I am starting to do all real estate repairs by the hour. It makes it harder for folks to admit they just want a price.

I do have some agents that treat me real well and I just ask them if it is a negotiation quote. For them I don't mind, as they have sent me some serious job leads over the years and keep me busy with rental repairs.

·
GC/carpenter
43,916 Posts
I agree most are just scams, if not all.

I like biding to the persons paying, THE HOMEOWNER.
I always tell them I only enter into prime contracts, they almost always say we'll I'm just consulting for the HO. Then I say if I'm going to work for the HO have them call me, otherwise I'm not interested. I especially will not work as a sub. All too often, it's another contractor wanting your numbers so they can bid the job and do it themselves.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I responded-estimated a few earlier this year, tossed in for 4 estimates - Nada a response. And still have all the bid credits.

Submitted a few questions to home owners - Nada

Most of the ones here in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro Plex are DIY Wanna be GC type nickel and dime requests, price checkers, idiots for even asking.... a few have been "serious" looking requests. I don't have the time, right now, to experiment.

NO tracking or follow up metrics for those who have bid. Maybe it works but have yet to hear of anyone who actually got any work

·
Registered
191 Posts
I responded-estimated a few earlier this year, tossed in for 4 estimates - Nada a response. And still have all the bid credits.

Submitted a few questions to home owners - Nada

Most of the ones here in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro Plex are DIY Wanna be GC type nickel and dime requests, price checkers, idiots for even asking.... a few have been "serious" looking requests. I don't have the time, right now, to experiment.

NO tracking or follow up metrics for those who have bid. Maybe it works but have yet to hear of anyone who actually got any work
Same thing here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts