Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
It works just as good as any of the blades and is cheaper. This makes it better, IMO. I've tried the festool, makita, and freud. I use the freud more then any of them. The only thing that could be an issue is sometimes the red Perma-Shield coating can rub off on your cut. But this is rare for me. It only matters if I leave a space on my seam board and you look down through it. But like I said its small potatoes. I still use my freuds more often.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is the kerf the same as the now uniform festool blade kerf? Would be nice to swap between both and have it align correct on the splinter guard.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My question I guess is because there are many times when I am ripping close to the edge of a sheet, half on half off, where blade deflection and runoff is a concern. I have had zero issues with the festool blade, it hold a true line. I didn't know Tenryu or Forrest made a blade for it either. I can't justify a Forrest, that is a ridiculous price.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I haven't used the Freud, but wouldn't think deflection wod be an issue with a blade that small. I guess it's possible, though. Agree the Forrest blade is ridiculously expensive. I don't know how it could produce any better cut than the Festool, which is pretty much perfect anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've also wondered about those blades. My biggest concern was the kerf, it would be great to see one in person to compare.

I also like the 28 tooth blade better than the stock 48. I had trouble ripping through some cedar the first week I had the saw and stopped at my dealer for the 28, made a huge difference and the cuts are as good as the 48. I would have bought the Freud if they carried them.

Warner where do you get your Tenryu blades?

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
For 30 bucks a piece for the freud 28, its almost more economical to buy new instead of sharpen

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
It costs 6 bucks to sharpen the 28t and 10 for the 48t.

My original 48t festool blade was over 5 years old and still had several more years of sharpening left in the carbide.
The only sharpner in town charges a $1 a tooth. I might have to ship them south to your guy

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
The only sharpner in town charges a $1 a tooth. I might have to ship them south to your guy
No kidding! Does your sharpener do out of area work Darcy?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts