Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on how to protect fresh dug footings from heavy rains with rebar already installed? We don't have time to pour before the rain..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think plastic is an option.. Our plan is to cut a relief drain out of the footings to hopefully drain. Then pump what ever is left and hopefully not have to over excavate the soft soils.
ForumRunner_20140718_121030.jpg

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You are certainly going have some run-off from the hill into the red Georgia soil.

I hope it is a gradual rain with not a lot erosion. Getting out the rebar and resetting is a costly item.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't think plastic is an option.. Our plan is to cut a relief drain out of the footings to hopefully drain. Then pump what ever is left and hopefully not have to over excavate the soft soils.
View attachment 115732
That my friend, is why we, concrete guys & gc's, get paid the big bucks, Lol. :laughing:

Between weather, inspections, poor soil & site conditions, pump truck scheduling, and concrete scheduling, its no wonder we all have ulcers and a high stress level. People just do not understand. Good luck.

·
CCC
275 Posts
I had this problem last week. I cut out 5' x 20' of 6mil plastic strips. I then tied one rebar to each side to weigh it down and keep it tight. I then staked the inside of every rebar about every 10' just to help. I did that for 600LF of footing and made a few funky shapes for the spot footings. I laced each 20' strip (rebar is 20' in length) together with tie wire like I did the rebar to the plastic and went with it.

I also dug a relief trench on each of the low sides as another precaution. Ive never seen that before and kinda made it up as I went. Actually worked super good considering we got some of the biggest downpours in 80 years. It still got a little wet but nothing bad that we had to remove any rebar.

·
CCC
275 Posts
Yikes, Yeah I just looked at your picture. Your pretty much screwed with that hill sloping into your footing unless you can trench a footing to divert the water but other than that....

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Little words of experience

Use tyvek/typar to wrap the footing, lining the footing keeps it clean, stops future moisture intrusion from below and very easy to channel water out to a deeper pit (which you had the excavator dig) where you pump the water from.

And spend a couple bucks and get a silt fence on the hill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes pretty much screwed! Hasn't rained in weeks and the second we start prepping for a Footing pour the rain comes! The sloped upper portion is actually slopping off to the sides hard to make that out from the image. I like the tyvek idea but too late for this pour but I'll keep that one in mind on the next pour. Gonna go medicate my ulcers now, lol.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
We've all been down that road before.

Divert what you can, pump what you can and get ready to clean silt out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With almost 10 days of rain delays and numerous engineering details resolved we finally have a foundation wall. Slightly over 200 yards.
ForumRunner_20140821_231154.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are for large steel beams. There are 4 columns that will sit on top of the pilasters locations. Setting those anchor bolts inside the forms was very difficult. It's also full of weld plates along top for the bar joists. One of the more challenging walls we've poured in awhile.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Great.
I started reading from the beginning and was wondering how this was going to turn out.
Great thread
Thanx for posting

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! I forgot to add another issue we had to deal with. 2 hours before concrete started rolling I realized 2 vertical #7 bars were missing from the pilasters. No big deal just pull a few panels and slide them down. After we removed the bottom panel we discovered 4" of mud across the entire footing.. Had to scramble and get a fire hose connected to the hydrant and blow out all them mud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We learned a lesson on this project with the weather dalays. I'm currently building an apartment complex and again footings being dug with impending rain. This time I dug the footings, got my soil inspection then poured 2" of concrete to protect. Will be easy to use square shovel and clean prior to rebar installation.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Save yourself a few bucks and use U-fill instead of concrete next time, usually 30-40% cheaper then concrete and is okay for a couple of inches

1 - 20 of 25 Posts