Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor had an aluminum handle from his tablesaw which had broken in half repaired. The metal shop told him they have to freeze it to weld it because it is aluminum. Just curious, is this true? If so, why?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have never heard of this. I'm a carpenter not a welder, so I don't know. But it came back fixed like new, no idea if they actually did freeze it. Now I have to know, off to Google.:blink:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whole thing is cooled at 1 time so the metal solidifies and makes 1 crystal.. so it is all one melecular piece..

when you weld something together is the metal or the weld stronger? The weld is, and the metal on the side of the weld is the weakest spot. In this same theory, when something is cast.. it is all the same temp and it cools at the same time so there is no issue with bonding between parts.. it is all 1 piece structurally.
Thank you. I understand that. What do you think he was referring to then about the "freezing". Maybe he meant they cooled it at a rapid rate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.