Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave out an estimate the other day on some chimney repairs now that spring is approaching and the brutal winter weather is clearly showing it's effects.

The owner stated she recently heard a large crash, bang, boom at the rear of the house. She looked outside and saw a pile of brick on her roof. I was forced to concur a pile of brick it was and more than likely only mother nature calling :laughing: She didn't seem too amused :rolleyes:

Snowing out as I speak still, 2nd worst winter of all time in Philly should equal dollar signs in the masonry dept this spring :thumbup:

Been a little while since I've been perched in my nest, hope I get it - it's right up my alley.

She probably won't be amused once she gets the estimate either I suppose,... her H-3 Policy doesn't cover chimney work :whistling

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There are probably very few people on this planet that get excited about a chimney repair job. Hope ya get it!

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you scaffold this job, or do it off a lift ?
Na I'll bring in scaffolding and set it down right on that roof - I'll save my buckets in case the rafters bend and I got to prop them up :laughing:

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must be new here, super would balance a 5 gallon pail on that wrought iron railing and stand on top. :laughing:
You know damn right well I use perfectly good plank :laughing:

Safety first always :whistling

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Your truck should read "SuperSeal - Professional Photographer, Cobbler and Stonemason":thumbup:

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts

i have done a lot of crazy stuff before but I don't think I would do this one. From the vintage of the automobiles in this pic I can't tell if it is really old pic or a really crappy neighborhood.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have done a lot of crazy stuff before but I don't think I would do this one. From the vintage of the automobiles in this pic I can't tell if it is really old pic or a really crappy neighborhood.
Graduated trowel trade school in 83 and went on my own in 91. This vintage shot had to be sometime from 87 through 90. It was my second employer in the trade at the time and we got sent into the city a lot. Yes, this area was particularly bad I remember (West Philly):blink:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
While the existing crown detail is visually pleasing,it is not good at shedding water ;the pile of brick on the roof is proof.

Are you going to pour a nice projecting cap with a drip,or does she want authenticity ?

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While the existing crown detail is visually pleasing,it is not good at shedding water ;the pile of brick on the roof is proof.

Are you going to pour a nice projecting cap with a drip,or does she want authenticity ?
Gave her my opinions and several different options - we'll see how it goes.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hate setting up that much just for a couple dozen bricks. Too bad the skylift is still in the shop
Min. re-build will be the entire corbel, fill and two 8x12 micro cracked top flues. The top 6 courses all around are toast and need to go. Gave her additional pricing for a re-point top to bottom as well so the scaffold rig will come in handy here.

Really don't mind setting up at all, actually enjoy it quite a bit...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts