Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to install posts for a free standing deck (elevated)?

1) Posts in the ground surrounded by concrete & treated with extra copper preservative before placed

2) Pour a concrete pier with the top in a sonotube form. Use a metal connector to attach the posts

3) Other???

Obviously both methods would have diagonal bracing from the post to the deck/ beams

Just trying to find out what methods others are using and why

Justin

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
Piers with a post base anchor that keeps it elevated - not only is this good in moist areas but others where termites, weed eaters, etc... are a concern

If you want to do the other make sure you have some that are treated for ground contact - as for applying more preservative, that will only take care of the surface & is only really meant for the cuts which should be used whether it is under ground or above

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,805 Posts
I've got a welder who makes up a 6x6 post base made with 1/4 steel primed & painted black for 90 each. The few extra bucks are worth it as they will outperform anything simpson has out. Never had an inspector say one word about them either. Mainly use them on pergolas & pavillions tho.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,269 Posts
deckman22 said:
I've got a welder who makes up a 6x6 post base made with 1/4 steel primed & painted black for 90 each. The few extra bucks are worth it as they will outperform anything simpson has out. Never had an inspector say one word about them either. Mainly use them on pergolas & pavillions tho.
I do the same for certain applications, but I have to have paperwork showing the weld shop is properly certified.

Attachments

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess my concern was with posts on the piers, would the diagonal bracing at the top give it enough lateral support.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Al and I build the same in a lot of areas.

The U shaped steel post brackets my guy makes up using 1/2 '' flat stock are 16'' / 24 '' high. Believe me with the right top and bottom connection the movement is cut to unnoticeable .

Ground contact MCQ is all I can get local. If you look hard enough they stand good for ground contact not placed in the ground. Sneaky little devils. A couple coats of copper green stops rot/bugs altogether.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts