Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What no pics? Show us the pics. Sorry I like the gory stuff.

Take all your antibiotics. And yes the beer and Antibiotics will cause you to loose your lunch (experienced it). What is the name of the antibiotcs they gave you?

Get Well.
there on my phone and i havent figured how to get them to the computer. i'll post them and x-ray when i get them

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
cephalexin 500 mg - 7 days worth
Unless you're very lucky,
that stuff is also gonna wipe out
all ofyour gut bacteria as well.
The yogurt with digestive bacteria
(Activa?) will help get you back to
"normal."

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
"normal."
yea i dont know if that had something to do with it or not but i puked my brains out last night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take the antibiotics and post the pictures. Id like to see it, I shot threw my left thumb one time but didnt have a camera ready. Its a little weird pullin a 16 outa your thumb with dikes. Mine didnt have a board attached though.

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
"normal."

Very true!!!!

Need to maintain digestive enzyme and bacterial levels with REAL yogurt or lotsa poontang!

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
The maintenance guy ???

I still can't get past that.....

Hollywood, Fl is not some tumbleweed town, right?

·
4,617 Posts
Back in my day, when nail guns were steam powered, and we had to hand forge our gun nails and use old newspapers and hide glue to collate them, we would have just cut the finger/hand off and finished hanging the facia. Then we'd tell the homeowner we'd be back to get the digit off and put some primer on.

We'd then head over to the still and get the poor carpenter real drunk and keep him that way for the weekend. After that, its back to work.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
uh....how was this a "freak accident"?
Well... Think about the power of a framing nailer as it blasts 3" nails through solid yellow pine effortlessly. Now imagine placing your hand down on a piece of 2x6 and shooting one straight through it! I've been using framing nailers on and off for ten years and this happened in a split second...It seemed like a good title at the time!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The maintenance guy ???

I still can't get past that.....

Hollywood, Fl is not some tumbleweed town, right?
No It was at a major hospital in the south florida metropolitan area. They were trying to contact the hand doctor but apparently he was in surgery somewhere. I told my doctor I didnt want to stay there and wait. So he started asking some of the nurses " what do we have that will cut through a nail?" Some one said call "facilities" i think. Which apparently is a fancy name for maintenance. Because thats who showed up to cut the head of the nail off, the maintenance man.

True story!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
By the way... A week after this happened my HAND is more or less fine. The finger itself is fractured and I wrap it in a splint every day before work. But I did't miss a single day. The cabinet install on tuesday was a little rough with one hand. We got all the plywood on the roof and ready for inspection yesterday and today. And as of yesterday the swelling was gone and I can work as if nothing ever happened. The worst thing is the way I feel from the damn meds!

·
Registered
506 Posts
No It was at a major hospital in the south florida metropolitan area. They were trying to contact the hand doctor but apparently he was in surgery somewhere. I told my doctor I didnt want to stay there and wait. So he started asking some of the nurses " what do we have that will cut through a nail?" Some one said call "facilities" i think. Which apparently is a fancy name for maintenance. Because thats who showed up to cut the head of the nail off, the maintenance man.

True story!
A buddy of mine shot himself just above the knee with a 3 inch spike when he was climbing up a ladder with his finger on the trigger. He said at the hospital the doctor tried to pull it out with some pliers before calling maintenance to come with a wrecking bar.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well... Think about the power of a framing nailer as it blasts 3" nails through solid yellow pine effortlessly. Now imagine placing your hand down on a piece of 2x6 and shooting one straight through it! I've been using framing nailers on and off for ten years and this happened in a split second...It seemed like a good title at the time!
OK..before I respond I want to say I am truly sorry for the injury you sustained. Believe me I have shot my self similarly with nail guns. In fact I shot a nail through a facia board, through my finger and into the rafter tail while standing on the top of a ladder and had to pull the nail out with the claw of my hammer to get down. It hurt...twice.

With that out of the way...the point of my question "how is this a freak accident" was to point out that you, like me, pointed a nailgun at your hand, pushed it to the board to release the safety and pulled the trigger. If you repeat all the steps exactly the same way...it will result in the same effect.

In the interest of learning instead of calling it a "freak accident" perhaps "really dumb mishap" or "jackass moment" is more appropriate.

The last time I shot myself with a framegun and 3" frame nail I was nailing a plate to the studs. I was in a hurry as usual. I shot a nail and the gun bumped back and reset again but on the edge of the plate so the nail missed the plate and shot the nail about 6-8 inches and into my left hand holding the stud. It went in about 2 of the 3 inch length. I thought it went through my knuckle of my index finger. I had to pull it out with some pliers. The doctor said I should have left it in there so they would know exactly where it went. He said It obviously missed the bones but had it not it would have been a much worse injury probably requiring surgery.

Glad you feel better. Bet you try to avoid that "freak" from now on. Pain is a good teacher.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts