Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And a few weeks ago. And yes, acid stained and textured floor.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
what are you going to use for exterior finish?

very clean looking.

i jumped the gun....

nice brickwork.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
what are you going to use for exterior finish?

very clean looking.

i jumped the gun....

nice brickwork.
What exterior finish? ;) That is the brick sold by Acme in OKC called "OSU" blend. Cowboy colors.

Funny story about the OSU blend.

T Boone Pickens donated mega millions to the college, and they built a new end on the stadium. The union bricklayers from OKC had a real artist in the crew. He pulled the redest colors from the blend and did OU right in the center of the new wall.....when you were a block away, it was obvious.

Now for those who don't know...OU, or the University of Oklahoma, is in Norman....OSU, or Oklahoma State University, is in Stillwater. Intense rivals....Bedlam is about OU/OSU.

Of course, when noticed, the press was all over it...the mason who did it was identified....and of course, fired....hell, everyone KNEW who did it... :laughing: and the brick torn down to the offensive OU, and rebricked......but we all know that the mason didn't have to buy any beers for a year or two. I heard he is famous in the OKC market.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/sports/2002004128_grid13.html

This house got the OSU blend because they are alumni.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,015 Posts
Very nice. :thumbsup:

Someone knows how to build for their climate. ;) Long, low building, thick walls, deep overhangs. I like it.

I'm really hoping we start to see more builders building region-specific structures. Like we used to.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture of the brick home under the eave, reminds me of a school.
Ain't for everyone. I love the architectural style for the efficiency....but I have done a house once I can only describe as a "block"....and the client wanted security, no concern with opinions or winning an award for the architectural digest.

The "Prairie Style" of Frank Lloyd Wright is neat, IMO....but I get as big a rush out of the interior elements he designed as the exterior.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Nice work, but.... locally No 4" plugs used in quality work with 12-16" long units, every designed masonry job has prohibited laying a 4" or smaller piece in the field.
Liked the large rooms and fireplace.

Does Large faux chimney chase above the roof have a purpose ? Or just for "balance" visually?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Does Large faux chimney chase above the roof have a purpose ? Or just for "balance" visually?
A long narrow short masonry chimney is a hallmark of the Prairie style.

Not sure FLW would be all to happy with that one. I'm sure he's loving the attention from the grave, :whistling while cursing all the idiots (in his eyes) that don't get his 'thing' and the details wRight to his vision.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think FLW would disagree with the front door. He liked oversized doors that weren’t easy to see.

I however think it’s a nice looking house!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts