Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
President
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a new construction job site last week to quote siding. First let me say I'm not a framer, but when I was measuring the fascia and soffits, they had one section of 16' that didn't have a overhang. The rest of the house has a 1' overhang. The trusses was setting on the rafter tails with the load bearing tags about a foot back. I ask the builder about it and he told me that he was going to put a small gable there and that will take care of it. ??? Note: The trusses are 36' wide. To me that's a lot of weight.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Framerman, are you saying you don't have framing inspection up there? And Jake it only works if he puts a girder truss or load bearing beam and point blocks all the way to the foundation. While it was a good catch on your part, I sincerely hope that the siding contractor isn't the only guy on the job who has knowledge of the importance of bearing points. I've never been but I assume you guys get good sized snow loads up there.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Framerman, are you saying you don't have framing inspection up there? And Jake it only works if he puts a girder truss or load bearing beam and point blocks all the way to the foundation. While it was a good catch on your part, I sincerely hope that the siding contractor isn't the only guy on the job who has knowledge of the importance of bearing points. I've never been but I assume you guys get good sized snow loads up there.
The town I live in, last I checked, still uses the '86 BOCA code book. Code enforcement is like an oxymoron here except the major areas of population. I've seen some of the most sickening construction in my life right here, and it gets ignored. There's not much enforcement.

Perfect examples. And I have more.

Our snow loads vary from town to town. It goes from like 30# to 100#, depending where you are.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is some of the most disgusting s**t I've ever seen. And on first look I brushed past( despite the title) that door that leads to the abyss. I was actually looking at the support of the structure and failed to realize the 8' plunge. I guess that's how you get rid of guests you didn't want at your home in the first place. "Hey Bobby this has been nice but we've got a lot of stuff to do today so we need to get a move on. Don't use the front door we just painted it. Use the second floor exit. Here, have this shot of 151 first, it's on us. The second pic uh... nothing fights gravity like nails right? I've had inspectors fail me for a missed drywall nailer. But if you can direct me to that area I'm pretty sure I can build 200,000 dollar homes with a half bunk of studs, 30 2x10's and 10 boxes of nails. How about you and I partner up because I think we can make money hand over fist. We'll sub out all the labor. To hell with this labor intensive stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Years ago I worked with some guys from Maine. We were down in Florida hanging cedar siding And building exterior stairs on apartments. I wondered how those guys could claim to be carpenters yet had no idea how to do ANYTHING.
Mystery solved. I am in no way trying to insult framerman or any other honest carpenters from Maine, I just mean now I know how those idiots were able to get away with never learning a damn thing.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
The town I live in, last I checked, still uses the '86 BOCA code book. Code enforcement is like an oxymoron here except the major areas of population. I've seen some of the most sickening construction in my life right here, and it gets ignored. There's not much enforcement.

Perfect examples. And I have more.

Our snow loads vary from town to town. It goes from like 30# to 100#, depending where you are.

HOLY SHRT!!:eek:

·
President
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not good. And with zero code enforcement here in Maine, never going to be fixed.
The job is in Waterville, Maine and there is code enforcement, but they only go for plumbing, electrical, set-backs and with trusses on the building plan, that's all they check. Even the builder must of known that is wasn't right, because the next time I went over that room was already sheetrock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts