Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post with this forum. Let's see how it goes. I am a general contractor installing a new roof on my clients house. While inspecting existing framing and sheathing in the attic like I always do... I noticed one rafter missing. There is a framed out flu pipe in the center of the bay near the ridge. Someone attempted to add 32 inch cats every six feet or so. I would like to add more cats instead of demoing existing cats and adding two twenty foot rafters which is never fun doing as an after thought. My question is if I add a cat every 16 inches... Would that be equal to having a rafter installed. Is it to over kill? Maybe every four feet. There is no live load and the roof sheathing is half inch.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I guess I'm a bit ignorant but curious.I've been in the business 40 years and don't know what you are referring to as a cat.Can you explain it to me.Is that a Jersey term?Maybe a N Eastern thing.
I'm in IL.Always happy to learn something.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I thought that was probably what you referring to.Never heard it called cats.In regard to you question I don't see how any form of bracing will take care of the lack of a rafter.How big is the flue pipe that they had to remove a rafter?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought this site was about helping each other out. It seems like it's more like a mud slinging competition!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry. I didn't see you response. The fact of the matter is... I would have to remove sheathing or soffit to slide a rafter in. If it's really necessary I guess I will. I would think bracing every 16 would be good.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I thought this site was about helping each other out. It seems like it's more like a mud slinging competition!
Guess I missed the mudslinging.Was trying to give good advice.Just have never heard it called "cat" in this area.Was just curious and learned something today.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Head the rafter off around the flue pipe and don't worry about any more "cats".

Just a bit of site advice:

This is a contractors website which means most of us use sarcasm and jokes to "keep it light", just as on a jobsite.

If you thought that was harsh, you must never have been "tuned up" on a jobsite.

Welcome to CT!

...and PS; first time I've heard the term cats myself.

- Scott

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
JerseyJ said:
The fact of the matter is... I would have to remove sheathing or soffit to slide a rafter in. If it's really necessary I guess I will. I would think bracing every 16 would be good.
You can't roll it in place?

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
you can use the blocking .

Just double up each rafter it's tied into.

Have you ever framed for a skylight, same thing.

PS: you'll get a little further in here if you take the
time to introduce yourself.

Attacking someone on YOUR 1st post doesn't help your cause either.

·
Registered
585 Posts
All these new guys have been so sensitive lately...

The rafters should be doubled up as Jaydee said above. Just throwing all your cats at it probably would be sufficient but you are dealing with the structural integrity of somebody's roof.

·
Design Build
8,322 Posts
This is my first post with this forum. Let's see how it goes. I am a general contractor installing a new roof on my clients house. While inspecting existing framing and sheathing in the attic like I always do... I noticed one rafter missing. There is a framed out flu pipe in the center of the bay near the ridge. Someone attempted to add 32 inch cats every six feet or so. I would like to add more cats instead of demoing existing cats and adding two twenty foot rafters which is never fun doing as an after thought. My question is if I add a cat every 16 inches... Would that be equal to having a rafter installed. Is it to over kill? Maybe every four feet. There is no live load and the roof sheathing is half inch.
If I was still in the GC business and I didn't know the regs covering a sub.....I'd get educated by the governing authority for my region....not a web blog.

I hope things work out for you.

·
Design Build
8,322 Posts
you can run blocking in-between 2 rafters at 32" o.c......

BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO AUGMENT THOSE RAFTERS TO MAKE THEM INTO LOAD BEARING MEMBERS. They can't just be the solo rafters.

Now you are concentrating loads rather than dispersing them. Yup.....it can be done, but don't cowboy it. Build a structural diaphragm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I totally misjudged this site and the users. Thanks for all your input. I've been fixing framing ever since I demoed their bathroom. And now this. Homeowners get very overwhelmed when extras come up. Fortunately this paticular client already relizes his house was built like ****. The two rafters which were left out were like that since it was built with him as the original owner. Original builder also added a second ridge beam with quater inch notches in it to accept the rafters. I think the same carpenter installed the roofing because that was hacked up. The guy ran no starters and Most of the shingle seams lined up. I don't understand how this passed original inspections. Put it this way the home owner didn't have much good to say to the inspector when he came for my bathroom rough. He thinks they were paid off... And he's got a good point. Sorry to mix topics. Had a couple beers after work today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts