Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of constructing a second story addition on a one story ranch house. The building has a brick exterior. The architect had designed a floor truss system 16" OC. The trusses will sit on plates that are fastened to the tops of the ceiling joists. The ceiling joist ends on the 2x4 exterior stud wall, meaning it does not extend over the brick. According to the design the trusses will also bear on the brick which means the exterior brick veneer will carry part of the load. In addition a 2x6 exterior wall will sit on the truss above the brick exterior wall. The brick however is lower and will be built up 16" with a knee wall. The question concerns window openings. Is a header necessary in the knee wall above window openings. Please see attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Definitely ask him as I can't figure out why someone would draw a ceiling like that.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Definitely a goofy design.

Shoot an RFI to the archy.

Brick veneer carrying part of a load?

Include that in an RFI also, at least you'll be on record questioning it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drew the sketch just to illustrate the condition. The ceiling joist is an existing condition. I'm building on top of an existing structure. I thought that was clear. The truss is installed because the underneath will have an open floor plan meaning no interior load bearing walls. the ceiling joists run the width of the building which is apx. 24 1/2 ft they will be tied to the trusses via a vertical 2x4. The problem concerns the load distribution primarily as it concerns the exterior brick. How would you frame it out given the condition ? You have a ceiling joist resting on an exterior stud wall and a brick veneer extending 16" below the top of the joist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have made it clear that the 2nd floor addition will be sided. Plus it is typical for brick to carry structural load after all it sits on the foundation.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
King stud said:
I should have made it clear that the 2nd floor addition will be sided. Plus it is typical for brick to carry structural load after all it sits on the foundation.
Not brick veneer. I don't think it is structural

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
I am in the process of constructing a second story addition on a one story ranch house. The building has a brick exterior. The architect had designed a floor truss system 16" OC. The trusses will sit on plates that are fastened to the tops of the ceiling joists. The ceiling joist ends on the 2x4 exterior stud wall, meaning it does not extend over the brick. According to the design the trusses will also bear on the brick which means the exterior brick veneer will carry part of the load. In addition a 2x6 exterior wall will sit on the truss above the brick exterior wall. The brick however is lower and will be built up 16" with a knee wall. The question concerns window openings. Is a header necessary in the knee wall above window openings. Please see attachment.
That is one fvcked plan. :whistling:

Brick veneer can not carry structure.

Im thinking your archy isnt really an archy.

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
If there is an archy drawn plan, post it.

Your napkin drawing shows a brick veneer.

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
There is nothing in your post

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
Are you a DIYer?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.