Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Framing walls in a basement where the cold storage door is aligned with the concrete wall

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tinstaafl 
#1 ·
How have you all framed a pre-existing door when the previous contractor installed the door so it's frame is even with the concrete wall? It seems like a very awkward way to install this because if I frame this the way I normally would frame a basement wall then the door will not be able to fully open because it will hit the wall.

I could start the framing for the wall further from the door frame so I can put trim directly next to the door frame and it would almost be "inset" 4 inches or so into the wall with 3 inches on either side. This would let the door swing further before hitting the new wall.

I could rip the door out and redo the framing in that doorway to allow the door to sit further from the concrete wall so it aligns with the new framed wall. This seems costly and honestly a waste of money since this door goes into cold storage.

None of these options seem like an optimal answer. Any recommendations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.