Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 5 years I worked on a framing crew not as the foreman but as a carpenter. Often I would lay out walls or floor systems and cut rafters. You know the usual of a framing carpenter. Due to it not being my crew and just being a cog in the line Ive recently realized I did not have the attention to detail I thought I did.

Let me explain, I am now leading a framing crew at my new job. mostly single story truss roof houses built on a slab. Not to hard. Now we are doing a few two story houses. All the walls are dead on level and plumb the house is perfectly square. Im sure Ive triple checked.

My issue is going to layout and snap lines for the second story walls Ive realized my second floor is 7/16" bigger than my first story.

I guess my question is, is this an acceptable tolerance for any of you? Or Monday morning should I remedy this? Should I just chalk this up to variances in lumber? What is going on here? My worry is a almost half an inch over one story, Imagine if it were 4 stories that would be 2"!!

the house 36' by 28' or something like that if I remember correctly. It grew over the 36'

·
Bubble stick operator
572 Posts
Is it 7/16 in just one corner? That's gonna make an awkward corner to finish.

If it's both corners, is it that just one of the short walls is leaning? Is there a kitchen up against that wall?

Do you have a floor on, or are you still at joists?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
44,199 Posts
Either rip the house down or it is what it is. I'm sure based on plumb on the level it was perfect. But over 2 stories the small insignificant angle adds up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it 7/16 in just one corner? That's gonna make an awkward corner to finish.

If it's both corners, is it that just one of the short walls is leaning? Is there a kitchen up against that wall?

Do you have a floor on, or are you still at joists?
The floor is on and its just one corner. The kitchen is going on one of the interior partition walls not an exterior wall

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either rip the house down or it is what it is. I'm sure based on plumb on the level it was perfect. But over 2 stories the small insignificant angle adds up.
Well the floor is on so I guess Im leaving it how it is. Ive got 3 more identical versions of this house to frame. Ill be taking much more time to check this stuff before I put the decking on. Im really beating myself up over this.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Did you pull diagonals before laying out the deck? Or is that how the 'Corner' that is off?

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
You have to be vigilant and keep checking things as work progresses. It can still be fixed, but the cost things goes up the farther along you get. One of the biggest things that I learned was that never cut things dead on. By that I mean if a wall looks to be 16' length, cut those plates a sixteenth less. Everything seems to grow with weather, cut tolerances, things not being dead tight, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As far as “industry standard” is concerned, it is acceptable.
That being said, your a good man and I applaud your concern as it shows something rarely found in the industry currently. Pride.

I’ve done very few homes in my life but millions of square feet of high rise, multi story projects. I always built from the inside out, off grid lines and use instruments to plumb walls. Even with that much detail, the width of a laser line, can be .25” between floors.

If shear panel is being used I would suggest the top get dimensioned before nailing off, or during PL.
Heck, bottom chord bearing floor trusses not being set perfectly plumb at exterior walls could add to that 7/16.

On multi story wood framing I would make my foreman snap the next floor (using grid lines) before the decking was nailed off to the exterior rim. Cut the deck to the wall line. If there was a discrepancy it could be dealt with immediately and massaged out before moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yeah I Pulled diagonals and thats how I found it was off.
I'm all for tolerances less than 1/16 or being dead nuts over that distance. Greater scheme of things, not that big of deal, if your parallel walls are the exact same length. Or in this case the deck rim.
Treat the wall layout just like a foundation that's out of square by 1/2" Little ying, little yang you'll be within variance of widths of stud -SPF - trtd in terms of wall footpirnt growing.

Echoing Warren - You do need to figure out why and how thing grow and ways to counter it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't wet or frozen. I guess its just a matter of triple checking things at every stage of the frame not just assuming everything is still working and staying square.

Monday Im gonna show up early and attempt to diagnose what happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts