Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason this has me stumped and I went down a national building code rabbit hole... am I allowed to do this?
one obvious solution might be to change the direction of the joists but I dont want to deal with the plywood mess that would ensue.
I guess I should double the trimmer at the very least?

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am mainly concerned about having a hinge point in the 12ish' section between the floors...
not sure if im over thinking it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Warren, Thanks for the reply.
I'm considering it but due to being in Canada I dont think I can go more than 12' with my studs without an engineer.
Another thought is to come in 2' or so with my joists to give it some rigidity... thoughts?
edit: or throw a beam in there and call it a day

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
I assume your exterior walls are 2x6. With that, I don't think the 12' would do much . Different story if you have 2x4 walls.

·
Design Build
4,086 Posts
I'm not understanding the problem....can you snap a pic of the plans?

If I can understand what you're wanting to do, I can maybe make a suggestion.

Like Warren says, balloon frame would be best.....if Canada says engineer over 12', then I guess that's also the answer.

What's tying the top of the walls on the upper level? Joists, Trusses? Which direction are they oriented?

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No architectural plans, just a dream and a prayer.

The issue is having a hinge at the basement top plate -> hinge -> main floor bottom plate.

The national building code (canada) doesnt say there is an issue with my plan but my gut feeling is that its bad practice.

The stairwell is going into an 8' basement, I have checked the headroom for the stairs and it checks out at 7', it will have 3 steps to a landing then a flight going to the basement. (My bad my quick sketch didnt include the 3 steps)

I would prefer not to get an engineer but it is an option.
Trusses are tying the top floor together, orientated in the same direction as the joists in the picture.

maybe there is some sort of simpson solution?

again, maybe im just over thinking this - if it wasnt for 12' max for 2x6 walls I would balloon frame this in a second as the stud would only be around 16'.:censored:

I suppose I have never run into a stairway on an exterior wall surprisingly.

Attachments

·
Designer/Contractor
3,473 Posts
We always balloon frame any exterior wall next to a stairwell because of the hinge, seems to be the easiest way to resolve the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts