Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mencheman
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning

I am a looking to remove a load bearing wall carrying the attic space floor joist ,
it is essentially a crawl space attic, just hvac and duct work
the joist are 2x6 splice over the 2x4 load wall and then another continuous run has a header in the attic a 2x12 resting on the corner post and perimeter wall carrying 2x8 toe nailed

My question is i want to replace all with a 3x12 LVL by Louisianna pacific
run it from the perimeter walls to a load beaing post carried through to the cellar.
Can i use teco hanger and nail into the side of this LVL and where would i find the load bearing capacity.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your millwork guy should know the engineering specs. for all that.

·
remodeler
40 Posts
I have always gone to my supplier and explained what I wanted to do. They will run the engineering specs on the LVL's and tell you the load points and even the hangers and how to connect the LVL's together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Knowing the specs of the beam is only half of the equation.
The other half is knowing the CALCULATED LOAD of what the beam is holding up (ceiling load + any roof loads bearing upon it).
The presence of ducts etc has little to do with anything, as they would already be considered within the standard floor load calculations...unless there is an extreme weight condition...ie: bath tub, heavy equipment.. Check with an architect, engineer or draftsman for actual calculations as there are no shortcuts on this one.
"That's plenty big" is not a calculation!

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Hire an engineer or an architect, before you do anything with load bearing partitions.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Knowing the specs of the beam is only half of the equation.
The other half is knowing the CALCULATED LOAD of what the beam is holding up (ceiling load + any roof loads bearing upon it).
The presence of ducts etc has little to do with anything, as they would already be considered within the standard floor load calculations...unless there is an extreme weight condition...ie: bath tub, heavy equipment.. Check with an architect, engineer or draftsman for actual calculations as there are no shortcuts on this one.
"That's plenty big" is not a calculation!

exactly hire and engineer and make sure your butt is covered :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Moving/changing a load bearing anything requires a permit and inspection here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts