Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to start framing an addition that calls for scissors trusses until the existing house when the roof will then be stick framed. The existing house is a gable that is perpendicular to our new addition. The plan calls for a vaulted (slope) cellieng down from the original ridge around new valleys and into the addition using scissor trusses in the addition side only. Theplan calls for a girder truss at the house to carry the ridge beam of the stick framed valley side of the new gable. The girder truss is just a doubler scissor truss, can we hang our ridge from that truss? I rarely work with trusses and was just wondering if you have had any experience.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If the stick framed portion has ceiling joists or collar ties that are self supporting, then you should be able to hang the ridge on the scissor truss with no problem. Because ceiling joists or collar ties transfers the load to the walls if it is designed right. But if no joists or ties are in there, then the load will be on the ridge then transfered to your girder truss. And I really don't think a girder truss is designed to carry a load from a ridge. I could be wrong, but I've never seen it. They are designed to carry a load from other trusses with joist hangers. Bring up the concern with your truss designer.

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
I have seen it many times. We do a lot of great rooms where we get a couple of double girders, hang ridges between, and stick in there. We have also done this with scissor trusses too. Truss manufacturer will should indicate this on your truss plan.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have seen it many times. We do a lot of great rooms where we get a couple of double girders, hang ridges between, and stick in there. We have also done this with scissor trusses too. Truss manufacturer will should indicate this on your truss plan.
I will second the fact that I have seen and done this.
Don't worry we won't tell anyone if you read the truss plans!:thumbsup:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
this is more common on more elaborate roof lines. the last "new house" i framed we had 1 4 ply girder which had 2 small girder truss bearing on it, with 4 hanging off it and then 2 more 3 ply girders either bearing or hanging cant quite remember, i just remember spending a day and a half plus 2 boxes of air spikes laminating girders

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we start framing this addition tommorow. I sure hope the bigwigs got all the engineering done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts