Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got called in to look at tiling tub walls,I don't know if anything that can go over 2x4s on the flat, do any of you?

2 short walls are framed regular, the 5' wall was done on the flat for who knows why (bigger tub maybe?)

Thought I had a pic, but I can't find it

-Rich

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
IMO, those walls move too easily. When I frame on the flat, I go 12" OC and they still move too easily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been using the laminated studs for shower walls. I think they would work ok on the flat, they're definitely stiffer than a 2x3.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there was a lot of flex in the wall and I told them there was no way I could tile it as is.

Pretty sure they just had a fiberglass surround before, they were looking to do something nicer

-Rich

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just finish tiling a basement shower yesterday with the long wall having framing on the flat. 82" tall. No tub. Just a lot of tight blocking, all screwed. I felt confident about the install, but I will give the wall a push while holding a straight edge against it when I am back there Monday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input all!

The fun of it is, the homeowner started this months ago. Tub is already in place, so I've got to work around that

I've got a couple ideas to maybe test out and see how it'll go. The cs14 made me think of angle iron. I usually use kerdi board, but maybe 5/8 xp in that wall with kerdi over it would be the better bet.

Might all become a moot point after I give them the price anyway

-Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts