Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was hoping you guys could help me out--we want to put in a new
small partition in this cafe remodel in San Francisco that I am working on. The old partition slopes down, then returns in plan and is attached back to existing walls. the new partition will be built in the exact same footprint but 8' (to the (E) ACT ceiling. Cabinets will be hung from the partition. The deck above is at about 16'. Do you think the framing needs to go to
the deck above or is there a way just to cap off this partition at 8'?
What if the return stepped down to about 45"? It is non-rated. I
hope not to have to go to the deck, but that is a typical detail from
some other retail projects I worked on. Is there a way to attach pdfs so you can see what I am talking about?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
"please complete your profile, and continue to the intro page and tell us a little about yourself and your professional experience, thankyou and welcome to ct, gmod

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
You will most likely get a better response if you go to the introduction section and post a little something about yourself and your business as well as filling out your profile completely.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
was hoping you guys could help me out--we want to put in a new
small partition in this cafe remodel in San Francisco that I am working on. The old partition slopes down, then returns in plan and is attached back to existing walls. the new partition will be built in the exact same footprint but 8' (to the (E) ACT ceiling. Cabinets will be hung from the partition. The deck above is at about 16'. Do you think the framing needs to go to
the deck above or is there a way just to cap off this partition at 8'?
What if the return stepped down to about 45"? It is non-rated. I
hope not to have to go to the deck, but that is a typical detail from
some other retail projects I worked on. Is there a way to attach pdfs so you can see what I am talking about?
Thanks in advance!
Go all the way to the deck, use slip track, it will end up being easier, quicker and sturdier than running kickers to stiffen the wall.

·
Registered
377 Posts
if ur hanging cabs on the wall, you should brace back anyhow. go 8', and clip the track to ACT grid. otherwise just screw it in with zippies. why kill yourself going up 16' ?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
if ur hanging cabs on the wall, you should brace back anyhow. go 8', and clip the track to ACT grid. otherwise just screw it in with zippies. why kill yourself going up 16' ?
You can't rely on the grid to give the wall integrity, the right way to do it is go to the deck, especially sice they are hanging uppers on it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can't rely on the grid to give the wall integrity, the right way to do it is go to the deck, especially sice they are hanging uppers on it.
Actually, if you screw or clip into grid, and brace back to wall as i stated you will be fine. if you go up 16' you will have to double brace and it will be a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the quck responses...I'm on a public computer now but will fill out more of my info when I have more time. I'll try it with the clipping to the grid/bracing back option. Just wanted a sanity check, also not sure if I was clear but by "return" I meant this will be an L-shaped wall wichwill be strong

·
Registered
377 Posts
My mistake. For some reason I thought this wall would be framed in front of cmu. If you're framing a free standing typical partition and it will have millwork hung on it, you should certainly go deck to deck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do it right the first time and you won't have to come back to fix it. Go all the way to the deck and you will have nothing to worry about.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I would think you would need to go all the way up just to have something to anchor the top of the wall to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
build free standing metal stud walls every day with kickers only never had no problems , just built 37 patient rooms .cabinets on the wall in every room yousing dan backing from detrect works very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I can possibly see it work with kickers (braces?)--but I wouldn't really call it free-standing then. I suppose these could attach to the grid, then slope upward to meet the framing. My gut is to go more conservative though especially since this is earthquake country.

EDIT: actually I would slope them downward from the grid and bury the kickers in each leg of the new partition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts