Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Was taught bottom to top so your hand is clear for the top nail in case it shoots out. That being said, I don't always do it that way anymore, but it should be something taught and instructed to new comers. I was told the reason why not to do it and after a little time with the gun soon realized it's not to be disrespected and I'm always fully conscious of when I'm doing something that could bite me and work accordingly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
2x6 ALWAYS gets 3 nails, especially for the cap plate so it doesn't cup. It's the way I was taught and my old man was old school. Anything less is hack work. It's not always about how fast you can blaze through something. Not saving that much time really.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For studs 3 for sure

Nailing posts to plate I go down to 2 per stud/post/jack
2x8 I only use 3
2x10 is only 4 at most

knowing where to skimp out a few nails is worth it for a production crew. Some places aren't worth cheating on though.
And I guess this is where I don't have the same experience as a lot of you guys. I have never worked on or with a crew. It was always my dad and I doing custom homes. I was taught to be productive and quick, but never at the sacrifice of quality. Many different ways to do the same thing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.