Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SAGE
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So this is my situation. I am working on a 200 year old house,
The current situation is that there is currently a drop ceiling installed that i need to remove in order to open up to a cathedral ceiling that has not been finished, insulated, or properly configured for todays standards and building practices. The room is 750sqft, I haven't enough info to give you the sqft of the ceiling. Any how i plan to install a ridge vent, Rafter vents, and vent the soffit. Pretty cut and dry, however, the roof is framed with 2 by 6's and this basically leaves me with no room to install insulation, R38.

Here come the questions:

1. do i need to install a polethylene barrier after the insulation, i have seen this done on new construction that i have been working lately.

2. Adding another 6" of framing seems like a massive load to apply to the exsisting framing, What should i do. I would rather not demo the exsisting roof and build new. I have furred out rafters in the past, but not this much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope this is all clear enough to understand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry if I'm not helping here, but I don't see why you don't have the room to insulate. If the framing is 2 x 6 (vs. 2 x 4) you have even more room to install balisters and insulate. I guess I'm missing something here??

·
SAGE
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I got it. Question answered.
Thanks any way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts