Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Pro framer said:
I just replaced the handle on my 28 oz framing hatchet, if there any of u guys wondered what type of handle I replaced it whit? It's a 18" calli curved blue max. Didn't now that worked.
Yes! Another brother that uses the framing hatchet. Here's mine with a new handle

Wood Table

Material property Tire

This one I found last week in a old garage in Saginaw city. My carpenter book says its around a 1920's lathing axe. Give or take 10 years based on the drawings in the book.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary H said:
Yes! Another brother that uses the framing hatchet. Here's mine with a new handle This one I found last week in a old garage in Saginaw city. My carpenter book says its around a 1920's lathing axe. Give or take 10 years based on the drawings in the book.
nice set up!!! I use mine for renovation of old houses between 1900-1940 they have walls made of logs here in Sweden! But mine is a bit younger than yours! ; )

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Yes! Another brother that uses the framing hatchet. Here's mine with a new handle

View attachment 104615

View attachment 104616

This one I found last week in a old garage in Saginaw city. My carpenter book says its around a 1920's lathing axe. Give or take 10 years based on the drawings in the book.
I think I have one of those downstairs. I thought at first it was a Plumb, but I think you may be right. The Plumb's are a little different than the Vaughan's. Smaller heads on them. Vaughan changed the design slightly in the last few years or so.

·
Registered
664 Posts
View attachment 104616

I saw two of those at a flea market the other day. They needed new handles though. I've never replaced a handle and it's something I've been wanting to do.

Was also wondering what type of tape was on the handle.

My family is of Swedish descent.. I've been to Stockholm and Malmo.. love the people there!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
maxwage said:
I saw two of those at a flea market the other day. They needed new handles though. I've never replaced a handle and it's something I've been wanting to do. Was also wondering what type of tape was on the handle. My family is of Swedish descent.. I've been to Stockholm and Malmo.. love the people there!
nice to hear that u like sweds!!! = ) I live just outside Gothenburg, only been to malmo ones never to the states that's my dream! To replace a handle is easy and gives u that extra feel to your hammer instead of the steel ones u have to throw away when they brakes. The tape I use I hockey tape for the grip and electrician tape for protection if u miss the nail ; )

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Is that gaffer's tape you guys are using on your handles?
You don't want Gaffer's tape on handles. It doesn't stretch around and form to the handle so you get wrinkles in the tape which are hard on the hands.

Think of Gaffers tape as cloth backed duct tape that doesn't leave much residue when you put it off. Just double the price of duct tape.

·
Punching above his weight
12,601 Posts
Gaffers tape is awesome but yeah, like you said it's crazy expensive.

Couldn't tell from the pictures. Never taped my hammers before.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Easy Gibson said:
Gaffers tape is awesome but yeah, like you said it's crazy expensive.

Couldn't tell from the pictures. Never taped my hammers before.
Since I have been tapeing the shaft next to the head, in the last 11 years I have never broke a hammer handle yet on any of my 4 wood handles hammers. I think the tape adds strength to the wood as it protects it from damage

I use my hammers everything from forms, chipping concrete, trim and framing. I'm a firm believer in the tape. Plus it gives the hammer the old school look of "I been to hell and back" .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts